12,169.85-54.7
Stock Analysis, IPO, Mutual Funds, Bonds & More

SBI looking at selling stakes in insurance subsidiaries

SBI said it is keen on selling some of its stake in insurance subsidiaries and is in talks with respective joint ventures for the same.

PTI|
Updated: Feb 13, 2015, 10.37 PM IST
0Comments
MUMBAI: State Bank of India today said it is keen on selling some of its stake in insurance subsidiaries and is in talks with respective joint ventures for the same.

"Yes, we have started talks with all our insurance joint venture partners. All our partners are very keen to dial up and certain amount of action has also started," SBI Chairperson Arundhati Bhattacharya told reporters here.

India's largest lender has partnered with BNP Paribas Cardif to form a life insurance subsidiary - SBI Life Insurance, in which they hold 74 per cent and 26 per cent stake, receptively.

The state-owned lender also has a general insurance venture - SBI General Insurance - with Insurance Australia Group (IAG). SBI owns 74 per cent of the total capital and IAG the remaining 26 per cent.

Bhattacharya further said there are third party investors also who are keen on buying SBI's stake in the insurance ventures.

She, however, made it clear the bank does not have any plan to sell its stakes in SBI Funds Management and SBI Global Factors, which offers services like finance, credit protection against payment default of buyer and sales ledger management.

SBI Global has not made profit as the factoring rules in India are very difficult, she said.

"In a country where the small and medium scale industries are not getting enough avenues for credit, we don't think it is a good idea to roll back this company into SBI, which we can do."

Bhattacharya said SBI will like to give the company a little more time and see whether it could become profitable. The lender has also approached the Reserve Bank to relax some of the factoring rules.

Also Read

Unusual Insurance: How startups are changing the insurance game

Standardised health insurance to help with portability: Tapan Singhel, Bajaj Allianz General Insurance

How to decide life insurance policy term

IRDAI chief cautions insurers against predatory pricing

10 things to know about the standard health insurance policy an insurer has to offer

Comments
Add Your Comments
Commenting feature is disabled in your country/region.

Other useful Links


Copyright © 2020 Bennett, Coleman & Co. Ltd. All rights reserved. For reprint rights: Times Syndication Service