Farmer Producer Organizations are sowing seeds of sustainable success
Agriculture has always been a lifeline of the Indian economy, providing livelihood to millions of farmers, and FPOs have the potential to give farmers better bargaining power and create a more transparent agri-market. With this in mind, the inaugural edition of Samunnati and The Economic Times Farmer Producer Organisations Summit & Awards brought India’s agrarian heroes to the fore at a day-long event held in New Delhi on 18th October 2019.
This unique initiative saw experts from government and industry bodies delve into the many policy changes and innovations needed to attain sustainability and reap optimal benefits for farmer shareholders, in addition to analyzing existing industry FPO models, and providing financial solutions to farmers and arbitrators.
Some of the eminent speakers to grace the stage included Dr. Ashok Dalwai, Chairperson & CEO, Committee for Doubling Farmer’s Income & National Rainfed Area Authority; Neelkamal Darbari, IAS, MD, Small Farmers’ Agribusiness Consortium (SFAC); and Anil Kumar S.G., Founder and CEO, Samunnati. The summit witnessed the attendance of 250+ delegates from across the industry and government ecosystem. Together, they scripted the success formula to take Indian agriculture and its farmers on to a sustainable growth path.
This unique initiative provided a platform for FPOs and key stakeholders to celebrate the community’s successes in a gala awards ceremony that rewarded the performance of the strongest FPOs and its enablers from across the country. This confluence of agrarian heroes from across the nation saw their efforts lauded, with the below brands taking top honours as decided by an eminent jury:
- Best FPO Leader - North Region - Samridhi Mahila Crop Producer Company
- Best Governance Mechanism - North Region - Sakhi Mahila Milk Producer Company
- Best Impact - North Region - Navjyoti Kishan Producer Company
- Best Performance - North Region - Vikash Path Farmer Producer Company
- Best FPO Leader - South Region - Holur Horticulture Farmers Producer Company
- Best Governance Mechanism - South Region - Shanthi Sagara Horticulture Farmers Producer Company
- Best Impact - South Region - Ramanar Millets Farmers Producer Company
- Best Performance - South Region - Kamareddy Progressive Farmers Producer Company
- Best FPO Leader - West Region - Neshkala Crop Producer Company
- Best Governance Mechanism - West Region - Vikas Agro Producer Company
- Best Impact - West Region - Maikal Women Poultry Producer Company
- Best Performance - West Region - Avantika Aatm Nirbher Krashak Producer Company
- Best FPO Leader - East Region - Bhangar Vegetable Producer Company
- Best Governance Mechanism - East Region - Nabajagaran Global Farmer Producer Company
- Best Impact - East Region - Harit Kranti Aadiwasi Sahkari Samiti Maryadit Bagicha
- Best Performance - East Region - Damodar Agro Producer Company
- Best FPO Friendly Private Sector Company - ADM Agro Industries India
- Best FPO Friendly Private Sector Company - National Commodity and Derivatives Exchange
- Best NGO and Research Institute Supporting FPOs - Vrutti Livelihood Partners
- Best NGO and Research Institute Supporting FPOs - Indian Grameen Services
- Contributing to Outstanding Farmers’ Skill Development Recognizes Social Education Economical Development Society
- Contributing to Outstanding Farmers’ Skill Development Recognizes Krushak Mitra Agro Services
- Best Agritech Start-up – Dehaat
- Jury Special Award - Lamaten Tingmoo Organic Grower's Cooperative Society
- Special Award for Outstanding Contribution in Agri Value Chain (International) - Olam Agro India
Deepak Lamba, President, Times Strategic Solutions, offered his perspective on this first-time initiative, stating, “The Government has set a target of doubling of farmers' income by the year 2022, and farmers aggregations are an effective way of ensuring equitable, sustainable growth of livelihoods. Through Samunnati and The Economic Times FPO Summit and Awards, the stakeholders of the ecosystem have come together to ensure that Indian agriculture prospers, with its benefits reaped by all.”
During the last couple of years, there has been a growing interest in promoting an enabling environment for FPOs so that they emerge as successful business enterprises in their own right. The success of farmer organizations is critical for ensuring the success of smallholder and marginal farmers in India, and FPOs will continue to blossom as an aggregator of aspirations for millions of farmers across the country. This first-of-its-kind Summit and Awards sought to recognize enabling entities laying the foundations of future growth, and in the process create a gold standard of excellence that all can aspire to emulate.
Karan Karayi, email@example.com