Never miss a great news story!
Get instant notifications from Economic Times
AllowNot now


You can switch off notifications anytime using browser settings.
11,921.50-96.9
Stock Analysis, IPO, Mutual Funds, Bonds & More

Court says it can't rule out false implication in Aditya Pancholi's case, adjourns hearing to Sept 9

On June 27, a case of rape, extortion and criminal intimidation was filed against Pancholi.

Updated: Aug 29, 2019, 09.53 AM IST
0Comments
BCCL
Aditya pancholi
On June 27, the Versova police had registered a case of rape, extortion and criminal intimidation, among other charges, against Aditya Pancholi.
(This story originally appeared in on Aug 29, 2019)
A sessions court on Wednesday adjourned hearing in the anticipatory bail plea filed by actor-producer Aditya Pancholi in an alleged rape case registered against him by an actress in June. In the previous hearing on the plea last month, granting Pancholi (54) interim pre-arrest bail, the court had observed that false implication could not be ruled out. The court took into consideration that on June 25 a magistrate had issued process against the actress in a defamation case Pancholi had filed against her in 2017. The court also said that the allegations made by the actress also pertained to incidents from 2004-09.

“Considering that there is a considerable delay in lodging the report and as the present report has been lodged after the issuance of process by the magistrate against the victim, that too the very next day, false implication of the applicant (Pancholi) cannot be ruled out at this stage. The applicant has thus, made out a prima facie case for granting pre-arrest bail at this stage,” the court had said.

On Wednesday, the court adjourned the hearing after the actress’s advocate submitted that the intervention application opposing his plea was wrongly filed in the name of the actress’s sister. The lawyer told the court he wanted time to rectify the mistake and file the appropriate application. Considering the submission, the court adjourned the hearing to September 9.

On June 27, the Versova police had registered a case of rape, extortion and criminal intimidation, among other charges, against Pancholi.

In her complaint, the actress said she met Pancholi after she came to Mumbai in 2004 for pursuing a career in films. She alleged that in 2004, after she accompanied him to a party and consumed drinks, she started feeling dizzy. She alleged that on the way home, Pancholi stopped the car and raped her. The actress also alleged that Pancholi assaulted her physically and mentally and even blackmailed her with private pictures.

Pancholi’s anticipatory bail plea said the FIR reflected her knowledge that he was married with two kids when she met him the first time. He submitted that he was absolutely innocent and the case was false. Pancholi’s defence pointed out to chats to show that the report was lodged by the actress due to a monetary dispute.

2018: The Year When #MeToo Shook India

of 13
Next
Prev
Play Slideshow

2018: The Year Of #MeToo In India

27 Dec, 2018
2018 saw the rise of the #MeToo movement in India. Inspired by a global campaign against sexual harassment and assault, women across the spectrum opened up and shared their stories about abuse by men in positions of power. And it began in October with actress Tanushree Dutta accusing actor Nana Patekar of sexual harassment while shooting for the 2008 film 'Horn Ok Please'.What followed was a series of posts by other women who shared their experiences with the world. From actors, film directors to advertising top guns, artists and writers and politicians, women professionals called out obnoxious behaviour at the workplace. From unwanted attention in the office to sexual innuendos on the film set, there were many kinds of allegations that surfaced.While some of these are still struggling in the industry amidst the allegations, some succeeded in getting a clean chit from authorities. Recently, rumours surfaced that Patekar has been given a clean chit. However, the 'Aashiq Banaya Aapne' actress quashed the rumours. However, director Vikas Bahl, who was one of the prime accusees, has been set free from all charges against him. The internal complaints committee of Reliance Entertainment, today, set the 'Queen' director free, who was accused by an employee of Phantom films under the #MeToo movement.(In Pic: From top left, Nana Patekar, Aditi Mittal, Subhash Ghai, Anirban Das Blah. From bottom left, Alok Nath, Sajid Khan, Jatin Das, Vikas Bahl)
Next

Want stories like this in your inbox? Sign up for the daily ET Panache newsletter.

You can also follow us on Facebook, Twitter and LinkedIn.

Also Read

Aditya Pancholi files for anticipatory bail in rape case; hearing due tomorrow

Aditya Pancholi responds to rape charges, says 'being falsely implicated'

#MeToo: Rape case filed against actor-producer Aditya Pancholi

Kangana, Rangoli absent from court in defamation case filed by Aditya Pancholi; hearing deferred to August 22

Comments
Add Your Comments
Commenting feature is disabled in your country/region.
Download The Economic Times Business News App for the Latest News in Business, Sensex, Stock Market Updates & More.

Other useful Links


Follow us on


Download et app


Copyright © 2019 Bennett, Coleman & Co. Ltd. All rights reserved. For reprint rights: Times Syndication Service