Never miss a great news story!
Get instant notifications from Economic Times
AllowNot now


You can switch off notifications anytime using browser settings.
12,086.70114.9
Stock Analysis, IPO, Mutual Funds, Bonds & More

#MeToo: Anu Malik finally responds to sexual harassment allegations; says he may take legal action

Malik was accused of sexual harassment by Sona Mohapatra, Neha Bhasin and Shweta Pandit.

PTI|
Nov 15, 2019, 02.12 PM IST
0Comments
BCCL
Anu Malik said he wondered why the allegations were resurfacing only when he is back on "television, which is currently my only source of livelihood?"
Anu Malik said he wondered why the allegations were resurfacing only when he is back on "television, which is currently my only source of livelihood?"
MUMBAI: Music composer Anu Malik, who has been accused of sexual harassment by singers Sona Mohapatra, Neha Bhasin and Shweta Pandit, on Thursday denied the allegations, saying he was "being cornered" for something he did not do and may take legal action to safeguard himself.

Malik, 59, was first accused of misconduct last year during the #MeToo movement and was briefly dropped as a judge of a singing reality show on Sony channel. The allegations resurfaced with his reinstatement on the channel this September.

In a statement posted on his social media accounts, Malik called the allegations "false and unverified" which had affected his "only source of livelihood".

"It has been over a year that I have been accused of something that I haven't done. I have been silent all this while as I was waiting for the truth to surface on its own. But I realise that my silence on the matter has been misconstrued as my weakness," he wrote, adding that it had taken a toll on his and his family's mental health and left him "traumatised, and tarnished my career".



The music composer said he wondered why the allegations were resurfacing only when he is back on "television, which is currently my only source of livelihood?"

"Being a father of two daughters, I can't imagine committing the acts that I am accused of, let alone do it. Fighting a battle on social media is an endless process, at the end of which nobody wins. If this keeps on continuing. I will have no option but to knock on the doors of the courts to safeguard myself," he added.

Mohapatra was the first to call Malik out last year, claiming that he would call her at odd hours and once referred to her as "maal" in front of her composer husband Ram Sampath.

Singers Neha Bhasin and Shweta Pandit also came forward with their stories of alleged harassment at the hands of Malik when they were young and looking for work.

Pandit said she was 15 when she was called for an audition at the end of which Malik demanded a kiss in exchange for giving her a song. The incident, she said, left her scarred.

Bhasin, who had called out Malik last year and renewed her allegations, said she had met him to present her work in a CD and was hoping for a song break, but his behaviour turned out to be that of an "ugly pervert".

"I didn't let myself get into a sticky situation beyond him lying on a sofa in front of me talking about my eyes in a studio. I fled lying my mum's waiting below. He even msged and called me after that to which I stopped responding," Bhasin had shared in a tweet.

2018: The Year When #MeToo Shook India

of 13
Next
Prev
Play Slideshow

2018: The Year Of #MeToo In India

27 Dec, 2018
2018 saw the rise of the #MeToo movement in India. Inspired by a global campaign against sexual harassment and assault, women across the spectrum opened up and shared their stories about abuse by men in positions of power. And it began in October with actress Tanushree Dutta accusing actor Nana Patekar of sexual harassment while shooting for the 2008 film 'Horn Ok Please'.What followed was a series of posts by other women who shared their experiences with the world. From actors, film directors to advertising top guns, artists and writers and politicians, women professionals called out obnoxious behaviour at the workplace. From unwanted attention in the office to sexual innuendos on the film set, there were many kinds of allegations that surfaced.While some of these are still struggling in the industry amidst the allegations, some succeeded in getting a clean chit from authorities. Recently, rumours surfaced that Patekar has been given a clean chit. However, the 'Aashiq Banaya Aapne' actress quashed the rumours. However, director Vikas Bahl, who was one of the prime accusees, has been set free from all charges against him. The internal complaints committee of Reliance Entertainment, today, set the 'Queen' director free, who was accused by an employee of Phantom films under the #MeToo movement.(In Pic: From top left, Nana Patekar, Aditi Mittal, Subhash Ghai, Anirban Das Blah. From bottom left, Alok Nath, Sajid Khan, Jatin Das, Vikas Bahl)
Next

Want stories like this in your inbox? Sign up for the daily ET Panache newsletter.

You can also follow us on Facebook, Twitter and LinkedIn.

Also Read

#MeToo: Harvey Weinstein to pay $25 mn in settlement; will face criminal trial next month

2 royal weddings, #MeToo, Oscars gaffe, marriage & divorce for Brangelina: The last decade in showbiz

#MeToo row: Anu Malik steps down as 'Indian Idol' judge; Sona Mohapatra welcomes move

Sona Mohapatra thanks Tanushree Dutta for calling out Anu Malik, says the second wave of #MeToo is here

Comments
Add Your Comments
Commenting feature is disabled in your country/region.
Download The Economic Times Business News App for the Latest News in Business, Sensex, Stock Market Updates & More.

Popular Categories


Other useful Links


Copyright © 2019 Bennett, Coleman & Co. Ltd. All rights reserved. For reprint rights: Times Syndication Service