8,792.20708.4
Stock Analysis, IPO, Mutual Funds, Bonds & More

'Mission: Impossible' shoot in Italy halted amidst coronavirus outbreak

The seventh installation of the film had been scheduled to shoot for three weeks in Venice.

AP|
Last Updated: Feb 25, 2020, 11.03 AM IST
0Comments
AP
Untitled-1
In a statement, Paramount cited the Venetian government's halting of public gatherings, and said it was cancelling the shoot ``out of an abundance of caution for the safety and well-being of our cast and crew."
NEW YORK: Paramount Pictures on Monday halted production on the seventh 'Mission: Impossible' film due to the new virus, as Hollywood began to more drastically adapt to the growing global outbreak.

'Mission: Impossible 7' had been scheduled to shoot for three weeks in Venice. More than 200 people have tested positive for coronavirus in Italy, the largest number outside Asia. While most of those cases are in the neighboring Lombardy region, authorities said three people in Venice have tested positive for the virus.

In a statement, Paramount cited the Venetian government's halting of public gatherings, and said it was canceling the shoot ``out of an abundance of caution for the safety and well-being of our cast and crew.``

Paramount also on Monday postponed the Chinese release of 'Sonic the Hedgehog', which had been set for Friday. Cinemas in China have been shuttered due to the outbreak, closing down the world's second largest box-office market.

At stake is potentially hundreds of millions in ticket sales in China and elsewhere. Media stocks were among those that tumbled Monday on Wall Street as fears increased of the virus' effect on the global economy.

Last week, the James Bond film 'No Time to Die' cancelled its planned Beijing premiere and promotional tour. The film is to open in Britain on April 2 and in North America on April 10.

The Walt Disney Co.'s anticipated live-action 'Mulan' remake is also soon to open worldwide, with a particular focus on China. It's due to open there on March 27.

Coronavirus Gives Billionaires Jitters; Bill Gates, Jack Ma Pledge Millions

of 5
Next
Prev
Play Slideshow

Coronavirus Scare

7 Feb, 2020
As the spread of coronavirus continued unabated across China, claiming at last count, 490 lives, philanthropic celebrities and billionaire CEOs have helped authorities fight back. Here’s a look at the donations that have poured in.
Next

Also Read

Appraisals may be hit by coronavirus outbreak

Coronavirus outbreak: How to quarantine yourself

Amid coronavirus outbreak, RBI loan breather for telcos

Coronavirus outbreak: Stocks of medicines, staples shrink further

UK govt takes over railways in Coronavirus outbreak

Comments
Add Your Comments
Commenting feature is disabled in your country/region.

Popular Categories


Other useful Links


Copyright © 2020 Bennett, Coleman & Co. Ltd. All rights reserved. For reprint rights: Times Syndication Service