Responding to West's claim that he would run against Trump - for whom the musician has expressed support in the past, Trump told reporters at the White House, "He may."
The declaration by West, 43, on Twitter that he was gunning for the highest office in the land was retweeted half a million times and "liked" a million.
"If he did it, he would have to view this as a trial run for what's going to happen in four years," said Trump, noting that it may be too late for West to register in some states, and that he lacks the infrastructure for a presidential bid.
West, who visited Trump in the Oval Office in 2018 and donned a trademark "Make America Great Again" red baseball cap, announced his proposed run on Saturday, as the country celebrated Independence Day.
"We must now realize the promise of America by trusting God, unifying our vision and building our future," the music and fashion mogul said.
"I am running for president of the United States," he said, with an icon of a US flag and the hashtag "2020Vision."
We must now realize the promise of America by trusting God, unifying our vision and building our future. I am runni… https://t.co/MySzN3vjIB— ye (@kanyewest) 1593909493000
He has not provided any details about his alleged campaign.
Kardashian-Lagerfeld, Larson-Affleck: Snub Moments That Made Headlines Before Trump-Pelosi
Premium On Snub value
The Donald Trump-Nancy Pelosi episode reminds us of instances from the past when handshakes were rebuffed, eyes were rolled, and shoulders were shrugged.
When US President Donald Trump refused to shake hands with House speaker Nancy Pelosi, she responded by tearing up a copy of his State of the Union address, the exchange being caught on cameras for posterity.
But while it marked the latest twist in Trump’s frequently acrimonious relationship with Pelosi, it was hardly the first time a snub was played out in an all-too-public manner. It has happened before, and it will most certainly happen again.
Here are some famous snub moments captured over the years:
Read More News on
- Kanye West announces he's running for US President
- Kanye West's 2020 vision: Fans confused if the presidential run is real or for show
- Kim Kardashian says Kanye West is 'bipolar', asks public to show compassion, empathy to him
- Kanye West's behaviour puts spotlight on bipolar disorder; everything you need to know about the disease
- Talks of abortion, Bible, Harriet Tubman: A tearful Kanye West launches presidential campaign with rambling rally
- Is Kanye West serious about running for President? If yes, here’s what he will have to do to catch up with Trump