You can invest in tax-saving mutual fund schemes or ELSS and claim tax benefits under Section 80C of the Income Tax Act. Usually, you can claim tax benefits on investments made during the financial year. However, the government has extended the deadline to make tax saving benefits for the last financial year to July 31 due to the Covid-19 pandemic. That means, if you haven't made your tax saving investments for the last financial year, you still have a week to do it. If you want to claim tax benefits under Section 80C for the current financial year, you can invest now or start investing now. You can claim tax benefits on investments made till March 31 in the current financial year.
It seems you are new to mutual funds. If so, you should seek the help of a mutual fund advisor. ELSS schemes invest in stocks and they have a mandatory lock-in period of three years. Remember, that you can sell your investments only after three years in these schemes. Though the mandatory lock-in period is only three years, you should always invest in equity schemes (including ELSS) only if you have an investment horizon of five to seven years.
Here are our recommended ELSS funds: Best ELSS funds to invest in 2020
- No tax on rent to be paid by owner, if the tenant defaults on it: Tax tribunal
- Income Tax department to validate UDIN given by CAs in tax audit reports
- India has moved from tax terrorism to tax transparency: PM Modi
- Tax relief for homebuyers, developers
- Income Tax Department issues guidelines for filing income tax returns
- Beginning of a global tax war? UK starts scrutinising multinationals for tax evasion