As compared to corresponding assembly constituencies which went to poll in the 2015 assembly elections and the 2019 Lok Sabha polls, the turnout this time was higher.
- Nitish Kumar's schemes to empower Mahadalits 'well-intentioned', but need proper implementation: Study
- Bihar polls: NDA may be hit by multiple factors in eight Vaishali seats this time
- Bihar elections 2020: Nitish Kumar’s charm drive on home turf Nalanda
- 1st phase of Bihar poll passes off peacefully with 54.26 per cent voter turnout
- 52.24 per cent turnout till 5 pm in Phase I of Bihar assembly polls: Chief Election Commissioner
- Small shopkeepers, youths, farmers angry with Modi and Nitish: Rahul Gandhi
- PM Modi does not talk about unemployment in his speeches: Rahul Gandhi
Addressing his rally at Valmiki Nagar, the former Congress president said he was pained to see that Prime Minister Modis effigy was burnt in Punjab on the occasion of Dusshera, and added that it reflected the "anger" of youths and farmers.
- PM Modi calls Tejashwi Yadav the "yuvraj" of "jungle raj"
Addressing his second rally of the day in the poll- bound state, Modi cautioned the people that a return of the "jungle raj" will bring a double whammy for the state in the midst of the COVID-19 pandemic'
- Narendra Modi rakes up Ayodhya, 'jungle raj' at Bihar rally
Modi addressed three rallies in Bihar on Wednesday, when voting took place in 71 seats across 16 districts in the first phase of the assembly election.
Is unemployment the biggest issue in Bihar elections?
- Bihar assembly elections 2020: Showdown after lockdown
Equations have changed significantly since then, with JD(U) now aligned with BJP, RJD for the first time having the entire Left on its side, and the Rashtriya Lok Samta Party of Upendra Kushwaha now out of the NDA. Chirag Paswan’s LJP, too, is no longer part of NDA though the party has been at pains to suggest that its quarrel is only with JD(U), not BJP.
- Voting begins for 71 seats in the phase 1 of Bihar assembly elections
Polls for remaining phases will be held on November 3 (94 seats) and Nov 7 (78 seats), and results will be declared on Nov 10.
- Bihar assembly elections 2020: Major issues affecting the electorate
Bihar Chief Minister Nitish Kumar is seeking a fourth straight electoral victory amid the challenge posed by Rashtriya Janata Dal (RJD) leader Tejashwi Yadav-led Mahagathbandhan.
- From green and white, it’s 'united colours of RJD'
The RJD leader said in all its posters, the word ‘Tejashwi Tay Hai’ (Tejashwi is determined) has been written on a saffron background to showcase the support it was getting from all sections.
- Officials with EVMs, masks reach booths as EC tries to win elections during Covid
Special arrangements have been made in view of the coronavirus pandemic. All polling officials have been give protection kits, including face masks, hand gloves, thermal screening devices and sanitisers.
- Political parties are working extensively on digital campaigns in the run-up to Bihar elections
“The BJP is the front runner in terms of digital campaigns in Bihar, specifically because of what it had already built. Most of its leaders are popular on social media and have their own pages,” said Shivam Shankar Singh, a Delhi-based political strategist and author of ‘How to Win an Indian Election’.
- Bihar elections: First phase on Wednesday, 71 seats go to polls
As per the guidelines issued by the Election Commission of India (ECI), thermal screening of voters will be carried out by polling staff/health workers before they enter the polling booths.
- Phase I of Bihar polls will show which way the wind blows
Among the prominent faces contesting in this phase is HAM leader and former Chief Minister Jitan Ram Manjhi. He in the fray from Imamganj seat in Gaya. He is contesting against Udai Narayan Chowdhury of RJD, who is the sitting MLA and a former Speaker of the Assembly.
- ADR files fresh plea in SC seeking urgent hearing on electoral bonds issue ahead of Bihar polls
A fresh application was filed in the Supreme Court on Tuesday seeking an urgent hearing on the electoral bonds issue ahead of a government order permitting issue of such bonds ahead of the Bihar polls.
- Nitish Kumar fires '8-9 kids' jibe; Tejashwi retorts with 'mentally tired' barb
Bihar CM Nitish Kumar fired another salvo at RJD supremo Lalu Prasad, though without naming him, saying no development can be expected from people producing '8-9 kids' for a son, inviting a strong retort from Tejashwi Yadav who said the JD(U) boss is tired - 'both mentally and physically'.
- 34% candidates in 2nd phase Bihar polls face criminal cases: ADR report
About 34 per cent of 1,463 candidates in the second phase of the Bihar Assembly election have declared criminal cases against themselves, according to a report by-poll rights group Association for Democratic Reforms (ADR).
- Confident of two-thirds majority; jobs a priority, will nullify Centre's farm laws: Tejashwi
Yadav, who is the Mahagathbandhan's chief ministerial face, said he is running an issue-based campaign in the assembly polls which was resonating with the masses and come November 10, the day of the counting of votes, "Bihar will witness a new dawn".
- Tejashwi Yadav's aggressive challenge opens up Bihar's poll fight
The ruling alliance and the incumbent chief minister are repeatedly referring to what they call the 15-year misrule under the earlier RJD regime from 1990-2005.
- NGO moves SC against electoral bonds scheme ahead of Bihar assembly polls
The NGO, 'Association for Democratic Reforms', had earlier also moved a similar plea seeking stay on the scheme ahead of Delhi Assembly polls in January this year. The apex court had refused to grant the interim stay on the scheme.
- Time has come to usher a change in Bihar, Congress President Sonia Gandhi tells voters
In a four-minute video ahead of the first phase of voting on Wednesday, she said the present dispensation led by Nitish Kumar is neither saying good nor doing good and labourers are helpless, farmers are upset and youth disappointed with it.
- NDA will retain power with two-thirds majority, Nitish Kumar will be CM: Nityanand Rai
Union minister of state for home Nityanand Rai, who is also a prominent BJP leader from Bihar, says the people of state will vote for development and law & order. They trust the credibility and work of Prime Minister Narendra Modi, the BJP and the NDA, he tells Sanjay Singh.
- Rahul Gandhi to address 2 poll meetings in Bihar on Wednesday
Bypoll to the Valmiki Nagar Lok Sabha seat will be held on November 7, while Kusheshwar Asthan Assembly constituency will go to polls on November 3.
- Storm in favour of Grand Alliance now in Bihar similar to that for Modi in 2014: Rajeev Shukla
"As per the information I received, there is not a wave, but a storm for the Grand Alliance. There is a storm blowing in favour of Tejashwi Prasad Yadav and the Congress- led alliance, which is similar to Narendra Modi's wave during 2014 Lok Sabha elections," Shukla told reporters.
- In Bihar's Dumraon, a young royal tries his luck as an independent candidate
Shivang Vijay Singh, who holds a degree in hotel management, has entered the fray as an independent in the contest for the Dumraon assembly seat. He is the grandson of the late Maharaja Kamal Singh.
- Some people trying to make a dent in NDA, says JP Nadda in indirect attack on Chirag Paswan
Earlier in the day, Paswan alleged corruption in Kumars Saat Nishchay (seven resolutions) scheme of good governance and said if voted to power he would get it probed and send to jail those found guilty including the chief minister.
- Campaigns for the first phase of Bihar's Assembly election end today
Leading the NDA charge, Prime Minister Narendra Modi flew down to address as many as three rallies where he urged the voters to vote Chief Minister Nitish Kumar back to power.
- LJP govt will send Nitish to jail for promoting corruption in seven resolves implementation: Chirag Paswan
Continuing with his tirade against Kumar, the LJP president alleged illegal trade in liquor is rampant in the state due to patronage of the bigwigs in the Nitish Kumar's government. "Why doesn't he gets this inquired too?" Chirag asked.
- Bihar polls: Mayawati asks voters to guard against tactics of rival parties
In a tweet, the former UP chief minister said, "Preparations for the first phase of the Bihar assembly elections begins today with the end of the election campaign. Therefore, there is an appeal to everyone that they should take care against all kind of conspiracies and tactics of opponents and cast their votes and make the BSP and RLSP coalition successful."
- COVID caution goes for toss in Bihar election heat
Several senior leaders including Deputy Chief Minister Nitish Kumar, BJP incharge for Bihar polls Devendra Fadnavis, former union minister and Chapra MP Rajiv Pratap Rudy have fallen victim to the contagion.
- Bihar economy back on rails, we will win, says BJP president JP Nadda
“There has been the right type of leadership since we came together and the state economy is back on track,” Nadda said while speaking of the JD(U)-BJP alliance in an exclusive interview to TOI, adding that PM Modi believed states like Bihar were key to the country’s economic growth.
- Bihar manifestos rain jobs, but reality is grim
The latest estimate of the Periodic Labour Force Survey conducted by the National Statistical Office, Bihar saw one of the country’s highest youth unemployment rates. Among large states, only Kerala with 35.2% reported a higher unemployment rate among the youth (15-29 years of age) than Bihar’s 30.9%.
- Campaigning for first phase of Bihar elections to end today
The ruling National Democratic Alliance (NDA), comprising, among others, the Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) and Janata Dal(United), is up against the opposition 'Mahagathbandhan,' comprising the Rashtriya Janata Dal (RJD), Congress and Left parties.
- In central Bihar, people have moved on from 90s violence to talk about jobs
Surendra Rajvanshi in his 50s says they always wanted peace in the region. “All the accused in the case have been acquitted by Patna High Court. Nevertheless, we never made it an issue,” he told ET.
- We promise free Covid-19 vaccine while opposition wants to end prohibition: Ravi Shankar Prasad
Union minister for law and justice Ravi Shankar Prasad has defended BJP’s election manifesto promise of creating 19 lakh jobs in Bihar, saying the promise is substantive and based upon the JDU-BJP alliance’s work in the state.
- In the extremely fluid Bihar pollscape, is migrant discontent only the tip of the iceberg?
The returning migrants have not only exposed NDA’s failure in delivering social welfare benefits, but it has also revealed Bihar’s poor healthcare infrastructure. The developmental gains made by Kumar in his early years seem to be overshadowed by the little progress made in his later stints. The current situation seems to underline a palpable fatigue.
- Congress has formed 'radical syndicate' with Jamaat-e-Islami, PFI; RJD also its part: BJP
Political group Jamaat-e-Islami has been banned by the Centre under the Unlawful Activities (Prevention) Act, while the PFI is an alleged radical group facing allegations of providing funds for protests against the Citizenship Amendment Act (CAA).
- Tejashwi Yadav says Nitish Kumar is tired, JD(U)-BJP hit back
Chief Minister Nitish Kumar is tired and no longer able to manage Bihar, RJD leader Tejashwi Yadav said on Sunday, drawing sharp retorts from leaders of the ruling NDA.
- Nitish Kumar will be behind bars if LJP comes to power: Party leader Chirag Paswan
Addressing a rally in Dumraon, Buxar in the run-up to polling in Bihar, Paswan raised several questions before the present state government.
- Bihar poll: Sheohar candidate, supporter shot dead; attacker lynched
The Sheohar seat has 15 candidates in the fray, including five independents. The RJD, the JDU and the LJP have fielded their candidates from the seat. The BSP is also contesting.
- Tejashwi Yadav-led opposition poses a challenge to Nitish Kumar and NDA in Bihar
The NDA is banking on Modi’s campaign. “When the PM takes the campaign in his hands and addresses the people alongside Nitish, the narrative will change and people may feel that he is better than the loot-khasot-ki-sarkar of the opposition,” says Sanjay Kumar, director, CSDS.
- 'Lalten yug' has ended in Bihar: Nitish Kumar
Vaishali (Bihar) [India], October 24 (ANI) Bihar Chief Minister Nitish Kumar on Saturday said that 'Lalten yug' has come to an end in the state and his government brought electricity to every house in the state.
- Nitish refrains from saying anything against Chirag Paswan or Lok Janshakti Party
After dissociating his party from the ruling NDA in Bihar, Chirag has been hitting out at the chief minister almost on a daily basis in his election meetings as well as in the social media, but Kumar has chosen not to react to him.
- Rashtriya Janata Dal manifesto for Bihar polls: 10 lakh jobs, farm loan waiver
The cover page of the manifesto displays photographs of Mahatama Gandhi, Dalits icon B R Ambedkar, freedom fighter Maulana Abul Kalam Azad, socialist veterans-Ram Manohar Lohia and Karpoori Thakur- Loknayak Jayprakash Narayan among others, but it does not have a photo of the party's founder and its charismatic leader Lalu Prasad.
- Bihar assembly elections 2020: Why PM Modi raked up double engine govt slogan
Addressing his first rally in Sasaram, PM Modi said he had got only three to four years of time to work with Bihar chief minister and JDU president Nitish Kumar. During this limited period, he said, the two governments had done multifold works in the state.
- One election, varied issues: Why this Bihar poll battle is not like the last three
Anti-incumbency, the return of ‘Jungle Raj’, financial hardships in corona times and widespread unemployment — there are many issues and the priorities vary from constituency to constituency and also depending on the voter’s historical inclination, often based on caste lines.