Never miss a great news story!
Get instant notifications from Economic Times
AllowNot now

You can switch off notifications anytime using browser settings.

Hong Kong police end 12-day siege of university

Another battle ends

Another battle ends

After surrounding the Hong Kong Polytechnic University for 12 days, the police has ended it blockade, in an attempt to arrest anti-governemnt protesters holed up inside.

The police removed a stash of nearly 4,000 gasoline bombs which were left behind by protestors who had fought an intense battle two weeks ago as riot officers surrounded the streets.

Getty Images
Abound with explosives

Abound with explosives

Around a hundred officers entered the campus in order to collect evidence and remove dangerous items. According to a police statement, 3,989 gasoline bombs, 1339 explosive items, 601 bottles of corrosive liquids, and 573 weapons have been seized over the last two days.

However, no protestors were found. According to a masked man, about 20 people were still hiding the night before the police came in.

These were the people who were a part of the 1100 who had retreated inside after their brush with the police. While the police has arrested 810 people, a few escaped the cordon.

Another 567 people were arrested in the vicinity of the university.

Getty Images
Irreparable damage?

Irreparable damage?

According to a university official, it would take about 5-6 months to repair the damage that has been done to the campus.

During an official visit to Thailand, city leader Carrie Lam said that Hong Kong is undergoing a difficult period but that the fundamentals of the Asian financial center, including its strengths under the “one country, two systems” framework, remain strong.

“I and my government are listening to our people with a view to resolving some deep-seated problems in Hong Kong through dialogue,” she said. “I have every confidence that Hong Kong can bounce back, as we always do.” Hundreds of people chanted pro-democracy slogans at lunchtime rallies around Hong Kong on Friday. Some carried posters featuring U.S. President Donald Trump. Other posters told Lam that “it's time to step down.” Protesters disrupted traffic in at least two places, but they dispersed after police issued warnings.

According to the police, two high school students were detained for possessing TATP (tri-acetone triperoxide powder), which is a powerful explosive that has been known to be used in bomb attacks globally. They even said that its alarming that such dangerous explosives were found with young student

Getty Images
Thank you America

Thank you America

These latest protests were followed by a large rally to thank America after President Donald Trump signed two bills supporting the protestors.

Thousands of people were waving the American flag and chanting "fight for freedom, stand with Hong Kong". They also urged other countries to join the America is supporting the same.

One of the laws prescribes sanctions on officials found guilty of human rights abuses and requires an annual review of a special trade status for Hong Kong. The other bans the export of certain nonlethal munitions to Hong Kong police.

Getty Images

Other useful Links

Copyright © 2020 Bennett, Coleman & Co. Ltd. All rights reserved. For reprint rights: Times Syndication Service