- New Indo-Bangla Rail service to facilitate trans-border trade and commerce
A new nonstop passenger rail service between India and Bangladesh will start rolling in March. Initially focused on tourism, the link will be utilized to facilitate other trade and commerce sectors in the newer future.
- ET Edit: News is different, treat it differently
It is strange that news, which is largely responsible and is already under regulation, gets unnecessary extra regulation, while social media still gets off relatively lightly.
- Ad campaign to combat vaccine hesitancy in U.S. with celebrity help
The campaign, titled "It's Up To You," will feature celebrities in upcoming public service announcements produced by media partners.
- China celebrates official end of extreme poverty, lauds President Xi
The propaganda apparatus has been linking national successes to Xi, including fighting the coronavirus, China's rise as a technology creator and December's successful lunar mission to bring back moon rocks.
- Q3 GDP numbers today: Will the economy spring a surprise?
The numbers come amid rising hope that the economy may have slowly turned the corner after having shrunk sharply during the past two quarters.
- Sebi to soon issue guidelines related to environmental, social and corporate governance space: Tyagi
Regulator Sebi is in "active discussions" with various stakeholders to bring in greater granularity in disclosures by listed companies in environmental, social and corporate governance (ESG) space and would soon issue relevant guidelines, Sebi Chairman Ajay Tyagi said on Thursday.
- View: RBI's new rules on maintaining credit or debit card details may lead to tokenisation
Though RBI’s Master Direction on Digital Payment Security Control (bit.ly/3uqrjHj) reads like a hodgepodge pastiche of the Payment Card Industry Data Security Standard (PCIDSS) website, it clearly outlines its fears around online payment security and the woefully inadequate fraud warning infrastructure that all but the most robust banks maintain.
- Phase 2 of Covid vaccination: People with comorbidities will need medical certificate to get the jab
There are currently two vaccines in use in India – Covishield, the AstraZeneca/Oxford vaccine made by of Serum Institute of India, and Bharat Biotech’s Covaxin.
- Zerodha faces investor fury after NSE glitch
Hundreds of traders who bought stocks via Zerodha, dubbed the Robinhood platform of India, voiced concern on Twitter, with many posting pictures showing portfolio losses due to trades squared off by the broker.
- Oil holds near 13-month high, supported by sharp drop in US output
Brent futures for April delivery rose 10 cents, or 0.2%, to $67.14 a barrel by 11:36 a.m. EST (1636 GMT), while US West Texas Intermediate (WTI) crude rose 44 cents, or 0.7%, to $63.66. The April Brent contract expires on Friday.
- View: Are private hospitals ramp-up ready for mass Covid-19 immunisation?
Epidemiologists say that the wider the vaccination coverage, the bigger the barrier to infection, even mutant strains. But while we impressively vaccinated the world’s third-highest number, this was a blushing one-fourth of the official target of 1.3 million per day.
- DHFL resolution: Company receives no objection from RBI, files application with NCLT
In November 2019, the Reserve Bank had referred DHFL, the third-largest pure-play mortgage lender, to the National Company Law Tribunal (NCLT) for insolvency proceedings.
- Twitter sees revenue doubling in 2023, shares hit record high
Twitter will boost its new features to increase revenue and users, it said ahead of its investor presentation on Thursday.
- Reddit darlings up for a second day; GameStop leads
Video game retailer GameStop was up 37.9% after closing the regular session up 104% after an unexplained surge on Wednesday, and jumping another 85% after hours.
- Top investors rush to own Vedanta overseas bonds
FIL Investment (Fidelity), Macquarie, Goldman Sachs, Value Partners, Eastspring Investments, Barings are some of the investors, who bid to own Vedanta papers, market sources told ET. Individual investors could not be contacted immediately.
- Pakistan continues in FATF 'grey list' despite intense lobbying
In an online press briefing from Paris, FATF President Marcus Pleyer said Islamabad had made progress but was yet to complete its action plan to overcome deficiencies in its combating of money laundering and terrorism financing.
- NCLT grants more time to DGCA for responding on Jet Airways slots
The tribunal heard the resolution plan submitted by the winning bidder Kalrock-Jalan Consortium for grounded Jet Airways. In January, the tribunal had issued a notice to the Directorate General of Civil Aviation (DGCA) and the Ministry of Civil Aviation (MoCA) to clear their stance on Jet's slots.
- Benchmark bond yields may jump to 6.4% by March 2022: Report
The yields are likely to rise from 5.82 per cent now to 6 per cent by the end of March this year, the report by Acuité Ratings said on Thursday.
- CureVac says preliminary trials show COVID-19 vaccine effective against variants
Haas told EU lawmakers that the results of the preliminary trials on the vaccine's effects on variants would be published soon.
- What would it take for private sector DFIs to succeed in today’s India
Given that a private sector DFI will have limited availability of capital, it’s better that it supports infrastructure lending by way of providing credit enhancement support.
- BSE bulk deals: BC India Investments sells 6.2% stake in Himadri Specialty
Plutus Wealth Management bought 9.8 million shares of Himadri Specialty at Rs 43.98 apiece through a bulk deal on the BSE.
- BJP to make Assam infiltration and flood free, says Home Minister Amit Shah
Shah took part in a temple ceremony in Puranidudan and later visited Borduwa, in Nagaon district, the birthplace of reformer Srimanta Sankardeva. He also visited KarbiAnglong to mark the recent surrender of arms by five militant outfits.
- DMK-Cong meetings are corruption hackathons: PM Modi in Tamil Nadu
Modi also addressed a rally in Puducherry where President’s Rule was imposed on Thursday after the Assembly was suspended. The Prime Minister began both speeches in Tamil and switched over to English, which was translated, to reach out to the people ahead of the Assembly elections in TN and Puducherry. He also laid the foundation stone of several development projects in both places.
- India-France-Australia firm up deliverables for Indo-Pacific region
In a meeting held on Wednesday, the three nations decided to focus on better coordination in the Indo-Pacific region with special focus on disaster management, oil spill management, disaster resilience of small island states, renewable energy and marine ecosystems, ET has reliably gathered.
- UP government has no plans to decrease taxes on fuels: Yogi Adityanath
He said this in a reply to a question asked in the legislative assembly on Thursday, even as soaring fuel prices are pinching consumers across the country and there has been a demand for the Union government to cut central taxes while some states such as Nagaland, Meghalaya as well as poll-bound West Bengal and Assam have taken the lead to reduce state-imposed taxes levied on the fuels.
- India Ratings revises Sunteck Realty’s outlook to positive; affirms ‘IND AA-’ rating
The outlook revision reflects the rating agency’s expectation of an improvement in the business profile of Sunteck Realty due to acceleration in the already consolidating residential real estate market.
- Vehicle with explosive substance found near Mukesh Ambani's house
The vehicle was found on Carmichael Road near `Antilia', Ambani's residence, a police official said. A Bomb Detection and Disposal Squad (BDDS) team reached the spot immediately, he said.
- Ahead of Market: 12 things that will decide stock action on Friday
Chandan Taparia, Technical & Derivative Analyst at MOFSL said, "Now Nifty has to hold above 15,000 level to extend its move towards 15,250 and then 15,400 levels, while on the downside immediate support exists at 14,900 and 14,850 levels."
- Country will have few PSUs but with solid presence, says FM Nirmala Sitharaman
“In the sense, even if there are one or two or three (PSUs)...it will be a public sector undertaking of a good solid presence,” Sitharaman said at a conference hosted by Indian Institute of Management, Ahmedabad.
- Tech glitch: Sebi asks NSE to expedite detailed root cause analysis
Sebi rules mandate stock exchanges to carry out live trading from disaster recovery site for two consecutive days every six months apart from having to conduct quarterly disaster recovery drills.
- Jet's would be owner also planning airport, airline in Uzbekistan
The National Company Law Tribunal (NCLT) is hearing the Kalrock-Jalan consortium’s revival plan for bankrupt carrier Jet Airways. The plan was approved in October.
- Concerns over virtual board meetings need to be addressed: Sebi chief Ajay Tyagi
The pandemic has induced major unprecedented changes in corporate behaviour, where physical meetings got replaced by video conferences.
- India extends anti-dumping duty on melamine, vitrified tile imports from China
“The designated authority has requested for further extension of the antidumping duty on the subject goods originating in or exported from the subject country,” the Board said in a notification issued Thursday, extending the duty by a month from the earlier deadline of February 28, 2021.
- ETtech Evening Briefing on Feb 25, 2021: Govt plans to tighten online rules, experts worry
The government announced its plan to enact stricter rules for social media platforms, online news portals and streaming services. India's unicorn club saw another entrant. And Amazon's Amit Agarwal said they don't favour large sellers.
- HCL Tech confirms plan to raise $500 mn via maiden offshore bond sale
The company has already appointed select banks including Citi, Standard Chartered, which will help them raise the maiden bonds. A few more could be roped in.
- The Axar-Ashwin show: India hammer England in day-night Test inside two days
There was no end to England's batting woes against the spin duo of Axar Patel and Ravichandran Ashwin as the side folded for 81 in its second innings. This was the team's lowest Test total against India.
- President's rule imposed in Puducherry, MHA issues notification
The Ministry of Home Affairs on Thursday issued a notification of imposing President's rule in Puducherry after President Ram Nath Kovind was satisfied with the report of the Administrator of the Union Territory.
- Government will liaise with UK authorities for Nirav Modi's early extradition: MEA
The diamantaire, wanted in India on charges of fraud and money laundering in the estimated USD 2-billion Punjab National Bank (PNB) scam case, lost his legal battle against extradition on all grounds as District Judge Samuel Goozee also concluded that there are no human rights concerns that his medical needs would not be addressed as per several Indian government assurances.
- Nasdaq slides on tech selloff as bond yields rise
The benchmark 10-year Treasury yields hit a one-year high of 1.48%, prompting investors to lock in profits on some high-flying growth stocks due to concerns over heightened valuations.
- IRDAI issues guidelines for standard personal accident cover
The standardized product set to go live from April 1 has been named “Saral Suraksha Bima.” The minimum sum assured has been set as Rs 2.5 lakh.