All you need to know about today:
- Ayodhya relives 'Ramayan' days; People throng shops with TV sets to watch Ram Mandir 'bhoomi poojan'
- Heavy rain in Mumbai region; rail, road transport affected. IMD issues alert for next few days.
- 1,166 COVID-19 cases, 1,017 recoveries & 13 deaths reported in Rajasthan today.
- Army jawan among 37 new COVID-19 cases in Himachal, tally now 2,917
- Record 20 COVID deaths take Bihar toll to 369; tally inches towards 65,000
- J&K LG GC Murmu to quit. He is likely to be offered another Central posting.
IPL franchises seek reduced quarantine period, SOPs for off field activities
- After the BCCI issued Standard Operating Procedure (SOP) for the 2020 Indian Premier League (IPL), the franchises have sought certain changes in the SOPs including reduced quarantine period from six to three days.
- As per the safety protocols laid by the BCCI, players will have to undergo testing on Day 1, 3, and 6 upon their arrival in UAE. If all three test reports are negative, played will be given a go-ahead to start training.
- After testing negative in all three, the players and team support staff will enter and remain within the Bio-Secure Environment for the entire duration of IPL 2020.
Two trains stuck between Masjid and Bhaykhala railway station in Mumbai, 55 passengers rescued
World Food Program prepares to offer support
The World Food Program says it is quickly assessing the situation in Lebanon to be ready to provide emergency support for those who were left ``homeless overnight, lost loved ones, were injured or anyone who needs assistance in these difficult times.'
Wall Street rallies again; S&P 500 pulls within 2% of record
- Stocks are rising again on Wall Street Wednesday, and the S&P 500 is ticking closer to its record high as it tries for a fourth straight gain.
- The S&P 500 was 0.6% higher in afternoon trading, following up on gains in European markets and across much of Asia.
- It's back within 2% of its record for the first time since February.
- The Dow Jones Industrial Average was up 305 points, or 1.1%, at 27,133, as of 1:30 p.m.
978 COVID-19 cases, 584 recovered & 7 deaths reported in Jharkhand today.
Total number of cases in the state is now at 15,048, including 9,086 active cases, 5,826 recovered & 136 deaths
Britain to provide 5 million pounds of aid to Beirut-Raab
J&K LG GC Murmu to quit. He is likely to be made the next CAG: Sources (Times Now)
1,166 COVID-19 cases, 1,017 recoveries & 13 deaths reported in Rajasthan today.
Total number of cases in the state is now at 47,845, including 33,849 recoveries, 13,251 active cases & 745 deaths
Virus testing in the US is dropping, even as deaths mount
Women likely to be harder hit than men by trade disruptions due to COVID-19 pandemic: WTO paper
Army jawan among 37 new COVID-19 cases in Himachal, tally now 2,917
Record 20 COVID deaths take Bihar toll to 369; tally inches towards 65,000
348 new COVID-19 cases and 173 recoveries reported in Goa today.
Total number of cases is 7,423, out of which 2,072 are active cases, 5,287 are recovered cases and 64 deaths: Directorate of Health Services, Goa
PM Narendra Modi spoke to Maharashtra CM Shri Uddhav Thackeray regarding the situation prevailing in Mumbai and surrounding areas due to heavy rainfall. PM assured all possible support: PMO India
Punjab detects 894 new Covid positive cases and 29 deaths.
Total number of positive cases rise to 19,856 including 6,422 active cases, 491 deaths and 12,943 discharges
Mumbai's COVID-19 tally rises to 1,19,255
Gujarat: COVID-19 tally crosses 66,000-mark; death toll 2,557
Beirut blast death toll reaches 113, over 4,000 injured
93 more test COVID positive in Nagaland; tally rises to 2,498
The joint research between India and Israel on rapid tests for COVID-19 is progressing according to plan and is expected to bring successful results soon, Ambassador of Israel to India Ron Malka said
Yesterday I received a call from Home Minister Amit Shah to discuss issues pertaining to enduring peace in North East. Despite being in hospital his commitment to work is unwavering. This sets a benchmark for us all.
- Himanta Biswa Sarma, Assam Health Minister
5,619 new Covid cases and 100 deaths reported in Karnataka in the last 24 hours.
Total cases rise to 1,51,449 including 74,679 discharges and 2,804 deaths
Poland plans to fully reopen schools in September despite COVID-19 spike
NDRF rescues passengers from stranded local train in Mumbai
We request Mumbaikars to stay indoors and not venture out unless it's extremely essential
- Mumbai Police on incessant rains in the region
India Meteorological Department (IMD) has predicted rainfall in Gujarat till 6th August.
Gujarat: National Disaster Response Force (NDRF) personnel carried out rescue operations in the flood-affected areas of Valsad, earlier today.
Heavy rainfall triggers landslides in Chikmaglur, Karnataka
Karnataka CM B S Yediyurappa was admitted on 2nd August 2020 for COVID-19 & has been clinically stable since then. His vital parameters are within normal limits & he has been responding to treatment. He is comfortable & attending to his activities from his room: Manipal hospital
Ram Mandir billboard in New York's Times Square
WHO airlifting medical supplies to Lebanon
The World Health Organization says it is airlifting medical supplies to Lebanon to cover up to 1,000 trauma interventions and up to 1,000 surgical interventions following the explosion in Beirut.
1.78 lakh smartphones to be given to class 12 students by November: Punjab Cabinet
Videos show explosion in N.Korean town: Reports
- Videos shot from China show an explosion lighting up the night sky across the border in North Korea, multiple media reported on Wednesday, in what one South Korean outlet said was an apparent gas leak that caused a deadly blast on Monday.
- Reuters could not immediately verify the videos, which were obtained by Seoul-based Daily NK, which monitors North Korea, and the Associated Press.
Biden campaign announces $280 million ad buy through fall
Joe Biden's Democratic presidential campaign is reserving $280 million in digital and television ads through the fall, nearly twice the amount President Donald Trump's team has reserve
Militants open fire on security forces in J-K's Shopian
- Militants opened fire on a security forces deployment in Shopian district of Jammu and Kashmir on Wednesday, police said.
- Meanwhile, alert troops detected an IED in Kupwara district of the Union territory, they said.
- “The ultras opened fire on security personnel in the COVID-19 containment deployment at Sangloo bridge in Shopian district this morning,” a police official said.
- He said there was no report of any damage caused, adding that the militants escaped from the spot.
- In another incident, the security forces detected an improvised explosive device (IED) in a tin can at Youniso in Handwara area of Kupwara district.
- A bomb disposal squad has been rushed to the spot to defuse the explosive, the official added.
RSS Chief Mohan Bhagwat at Saryu river, Ayodhya
'One year of development in J&K', tweets Information & Broadcasting Ministry
We request Mumbaikars to stay indoors and not venture out unless it is extremely essential. Practice all necessary precautions and do not venture out near the shore or waterlogged areas.
- Mumbai Police
Red alert announced in Udupi, Dakshina Kannada, Uttara Kannada, Chickamagalur, Shivamogga, Kodagu & Hassan, due to heavy rainfall in the region from last two-three days: CS Patil, Director, India Meteorological Department (IMD) Bengaluru
Heavy rains claim 2 lives in Nilgiris in TN; Avalanchi records 39 cm
Heavy rain in Mumbai region; rail, road transport affected
- Heavy rains lashed parts of Mumbai and neighbouring Thane and Palghar districts of Maharashtra on Wednesday
- The rain affected some local train and bus services due to water-logging on rail tracks and roads.
- Dahanu in Palghar recorded over 350 mm rainfall in the 12-hour period ending at 5.30 am on Wednesday, while some areas in Thane received over 150 mm during the period.
- Water-logging was reported in low-lying areas of Chembur, Parel, Hindmata, Wadala and other areas of Mumbai.
- The railway authorities suspended the suburban train operations between CSMT-Vashi stations on the Harbour line, CSMT-Kurla on the Main line and also between Churchgate and Kurla
Mumbai's Colaba received 22.9 cm rainfall while Santacruz received 8.8 cm rain between 8:30 am & 5:30 pm. Presently strong winds with speed reaching 70 Kmph along the coast are prevailing and likely to continue during next 3-4 hours: India Meteorological Department (IMD)
1195 new COVID-19 positive cases and 971 recoveries have been reported in Kerala today. Number of active cases now at 11167
Manipur CM inaugurates 2 Fast Track Special Courts
Punjab Cabinet today paved the way for distribution of 1,73,823 smartphones by November to boys & girls of government schools, preparing to take their Class 12 board exams this year through online education amid the Covid pandemic: State government
Beirut reels from huge blast, deaths top 100
25,000 non-Kashmiri migrant workers return to Jammu and Kashmir
Clashes in Bengal over Ram temple celebrations amid lockdown
- BJP workers clashed with police in some parts of West Bengal on Wednesday over celebrating the consecration ceremony of a Ram temple in Ayodhya, amid a total lockdown in the state.
- Clashes were reported from Kharagpur in West Midnapore district, Narayanpur in North 24 Parganas, and Alipurduar town in north Bengal, among others.
- A procession by BJP workers to mark the day was stopped by police in Kharagpur, leading to a scuffle.
KMC keeps ashes of COVID victims, family can collect from crematorium
- The Kolkata Municipal Corporation on Wednesday said that ashes of persons who died of COVID-19 are respectfully kept in designated crematoriums
- Family members of the deceased can collect the same anytime.
- According to protocol, family members of COVID-19 victims cannot attend the cremation and thus they are not able to collect the ashes at that time.
Heeraben, the mother of PM Narendra Modi, watching live telecast of 'Bhoomi Poojan'
Passengers who will be able to produce a COVID-19 negative certificate issued by ICMR recognized lab, not older than 48 hours prior to the arrival in Goa, will be exempted from home quarantine. (ANI)
All passengers arriving in Goa are required to go for 14 days of home quarantine or they can opt for 14 days of paid institutional quarantine.
20 fresh COVID19 cases push Meghalaya's tally to 937
Consecration of Ram temple a historic moment, brings joy and pride to all: BJP chief J P Nadda
One Covid-19 positive case has been reported in Dharavi area of Mumbai today
Taking the total number of cases to 2589 including 77 active cases and 2254 discharges: BMC
731 grams of gold valued at Rs 34.5 lakhs was seized at Chennai airport
The total number of Covid positive cases is 504 in Mizoram including 286 discharged cases and 218 active cases
Earthquake in Nepal
An earthquake of magnitude 3.5 occurred around Bagalamukhi area of Lalitpur district in Nepal at 16:30: National Seismological Center
Maharashtra: Heavy water logging & traffic congestion reported near Wilson College in Girgaon following heavy rainfall in Mumbai.
2 of South Delhi's most wanted gangsters arrested
Two of South Delhi's most wanted gangsters, Anil & Ankit Gujjar, have been arrested. While Anil was carrying a reward of Rs 1 lakh from Delhi Police, Ankit was carrying a reward of Rs 1 lakh from UP Police & Rs 25,000 from Delhi Police: Deputy Commissioner of Police, Delhi Special Cell