!1 New UpdateClick here for latest updates
Wrap Up: Highlights of the day
- Global COVID-19 count touches 15 million
- India's COVID-19 count reaches 11,92,915, recovery rate stands at 63.13%
- PM Modi delivers keynote address at India Ideas Summit
- Brazilian President tests COVID-19 positive for third time
- Lockdown to be imposed in Bhopal for 10 days from 8 pm on July 24
- Manipur to go under complete lockdown for 14 days, starting 2 pm tomorrow.
- Explosion near Baghjan oil well In Assam
- December Nobel Prize banquet in Sweden cancelled
Glenmark's Favipiravir drug shows encouraging results in Phase 3 clinical trial
- Domestic pharma giant Glenmark pharmaceuticals on Thursday announced the positive outcomes from a Phase 3 clinical trial conducted across seven clinical sites in India, where COVID-19 patients administered with Favipiravir reported faster clinical cure and viral clearance as compared to COVID-19 patients (mild to moderate) with routine care.
- The company said that patients randomised to Favipiravir treatment arm reported faster clinical cure and faster viral clearance than those randomized to the routine care group.
Maha CM chairs meet of medical experts to address COVID-19 challenge in state
- Maharashtra Chief Minister Uddhav Thackeray on Tuesday chaired a meet of medical experts from various streams of medical treatment to address the COVID-19 challenge in the state.
- Experts from Indian Medical Association (IMA) were there alongside experts from Ayurveda, Yunani Medicine, Homeopathy, etc.
- The Chief Minister emphasised that all these ways of treatment are important and effective in the treatment of COVID-19.
4.6 lakh people in 10 Bihar districts have been affected by flood: Disaster management department
Not allowing local trains as it is 'impossible' to ensure social distancing: Maha Health Minister
Hours after commuters waiting for a state transport bus staged a protest at Nalasopara railway station, Maharashtra Health Minister Rajesh Tope on Wednesday said that the state government is not allowing the local trains to run as it is "impossible to ensure social distancing" in trains due to large crowds.
MoS health receives first tranche of 4,475 oxygen concentrators from Temasek Foundation
- The first tranche of 4,475 oxygen concentrators from Temasek Foundation, Singapore was received on Wednesday by Ashwini Kumar Choubey, Minister of State for Health and Family Welfare.
- "The Foundation has offered to donate a total of 20,000 oxygen concentrators to India. The remaining oxygen concentrators will be received in the month of August 2020. These devices will be made available to states and UTs for use in the management of moderate cases of COVID-19," the Ministry of Health said in a release.
Union of India through Secretary, Ministry of Law and Justice (Dept of Legal Affairs) states that "irreparable injury and heavy loss" will be caused to the Centre in case they are not made a party to the case between Sachin Pilot & team and Rajasthan speaker, Dr CP Joshi.
ET Bureau reports
Centre files an impleadment application in the ongoing Sachin Pilot & 18 other MLAs case before Rajasthan High Court.
Centre says since Para 2 (1) (a) of the Schedule X of the Constitution is challenged, the government needs to be a party.
India's COVID-19 count reaches 11,92,915, recovery rate stands at 63.13 pc
- With the spike of 37,724 new cases, India's COVID-19 count stands at 11,92,915 on Wednesday.
- The Union Health Ministry said that the toll has gone up to 28,732 with 648 deaths in the last 24 hours.
- Health Ministry also stated that with 28,472, India has registered highest ever recoveries in a single day, taking the number of patients who have recovered to 7,53,050. This has strongly boosted the recovery rate among COVID-19 patients to 63.13 per cent, it added.
- The total number of cases include 4,11,133 active cases, 7,53,050 cured/discharged/migrated and 28,732 deaths, the Health Ministry informed.
Haryana govt amends rules for Civil Services exam
- Haryana Civil Services (Executive Branch) Rules, 2008 has been amended, the state government confirmed on Wednesday.
- "The new rules will be called Haryana Civil Services (Executive Branch) Amendment Rules, 2020," the Haryana government said in a release.
- From hereon, there will be two papers of 100 marks each (objective type) in the preliminary examination for recruitment to the state civil services.
- The changed pattern is similar to the pattern of Civil Services preliminary examination conducted by the Union Public Services Commission (UPSC).
PM Modi at India Ideas Summit hosted by US-India Business Council
When the markets are open, when the opportunity is high and the options are many, can optimism be far behind! You can see the optimism when India rises in key business ratings. Particularly the Ease of Doing Business ratings of the World Bank.
PM Narendra Modi at India Ideas Summit hosted by US-India Business Council
- India invites you to invest in finance and insurance. India has raised FDI cap for investment in insurance to 49%. Now 100% FDI is permitted for investment in insurance intermediaries.
- India invites you to invest in energy as India evolves into gas-based economy. There will be big investment opportunities for US companies. There are also opportunities in clean energy. To generate more power for your investment, this is best time to enter Indian power sector.
PM Modi at India Ideas Summit hosted by US-India Business Council
- Civil Aviation is another area of great potential growth. The number of Air passengers are expected to more than double within next 8 years. The top private Indian airlines plan to include over a thousand new aircraft over the coming decade.
- India invites you to invest in defence & space. We're raising the FDI cap for investment in defense sector to 74%. India has established 2 defence corridors to encourage production of defence equipment & platforms.
PM Modi at India Ideas Summit by US-India Business Council
- India is emerging as a land of opportunities. Let me give you one example of the tech sector. Recently, an interesting report came out in India. It said for the first time ever, there are more rural internet users than even urban internet users.
- Today, there is global optimist towards India. This is because India offers a perfect combination of openness, opportunities & technologies. India celebrates openness in people & in governance. Open minds make open market & open markets lead to greater prosperity.
- India invites you to invest in healthcare. The Healthcare sector in India is growing faster than 22 percent every year. Our companies are also progressing in production of medical-technology, telemedicine and diagnostics.
PM Modi at India Ideas Summit by US-India Business Council
- We all agree that world is in need for a better future. And, it is all of us who have to collectively give shape to the future. I firmly believe that our approach to future must primarily be a more human-centric one.
- India is contributing towards a prosperous and resilient world through the clarion call of an Atmanirbhar Bharat. For that, we await your partnership.
- During the last six years, we have made many efforts to make our economy more open and reform oriented. Reforms have ensured increased ‘Competitiveness’, enhanced ‘Transparency’, expanded ‘Digitization’, greater ‘Innovation’ and more ‘Policy stability’.
PM Modi delivers keynote address at India Ideas Summit hosted by US-India Business Council (USIBC), via video conferencing.
Uttarakhand: 6 died in landslide at Pithoragarh's Tanga village
- Six died in the landslide incident in Tanga village of Pithoragarh district here on Wednesday.
- Six dead bodies were recovered while the State Disaster Response Force (SDRF) continues the search operation in which 11 people are missing, said the Deputy Collector of Dharchula.
- National Disaster Response Force (NDRF), SDRF and district administration are present at the spot.
Gujarat: 1020 new COVID19 positive cases and 20 deaths have been reported in last 24 hours
State tally rises to 51,485 including 12,016 active cases, 37,240 cured/discharged cases and 2,229 deaths
Pakistan continues ceasefire violation in J-K's Poonch
- Pakistan continues to violate ceasefire along the Line of Control (LoC) in Poonch district of Jammu and Kashmir, informed PRO Defence Jammu.
- Today at 07:15 pm, Pakistan started unprovoked small arms firing and shelling with mortars in Kirni and Qasba sectors of the district.
- The Indian Army is retaliating befittingly.
Sachin Pilot serves legal notice to MLA Giriraj Singh Malinga, asks to tender apology
- Former Rajasthan Deputy Chief Minister Sachin Pilot on Wednesday served a legal notice to state MLA Giriraj Singh over his allegations that Pilot had offered him money to join the BJP.
- Pilot, in the legal notice issued through advocate S Hariharan, asked Singh to tender an apology for issuing a false and frivolous allegation against him.
Uttarakhand recorded 451 new COVID-19 cases today
Taking total cases to 5,300 including 3,349 recoveries and 57 deaths.
West Bengal: 2291 new Covid positive cases and 39 deaths have been reported today.
Total number of cases now at 49,321 including 18,450 active cases, 29,650 discharged cases and 1,221 deaths
Mumbai: 1310 Covid positive cases, 1563 recovered/discharged and 58 death reported today.
The total number of positive cases here rises to 1,04,572 positive cases, 75,118 recovered/discharged and 5,872 deaths.
Maharashtra: 10,576 new Covid positive cases, 280 deaths, 5552 discharged today.
Total number of positive cases in the state rises to 3,37,607 including 1,87,769 recovered and 12,556 deaths.
Brazilian President tests COVID-19 positive for third time
Brazilian President Jair Bolsonaro has again tested positive for COVID-19 for the third time since getting diagnosed with the infection, Brazilian media reported on Wednesday.
Lockdown to be imposed in Bhopal for 10 days from 8 pm on July 24: MP Home Minister Narottam Mishra
Andhra Pradesh: Highest single-day Covid cases of 6,045 & highest single-day toll of 65 reported on Wednesday
- Andhra Pradesh on Wednesday reported the highest single-day Covid positive cases of 6,045 and highest ever single-day deaths of 65. This takes the total Covid positive cases in AP to 64,713 by Wednesday and the toll to 823.
- On Wednesday, the state reported discharging 6,494 persons to take the total discharges to 32,127 so far, while it saw 31,763 active cases by Wednesday. Over the last 24 hours, AP tested 49,553 samples which takes the cumulative to 14,35,827 tests thus far.
Tamil Nadu: Highest single day spike of 5849 new Covid19 cases reported today
- 1171/5849 cases from Chennai.
- 58,475 persons tested.
- 4910 patients discharged.
- 74 new deaths. 444 reconciled deaths also added.
- Total: 1,86,492 cases, 1,31,583 discharged and 2700+ 444 deaths.
Rajasthan CM Ashok Gehlot writes a letter to PM Narendra Modi
We have invited PM Modi to the next G7 Summit, where we will advance the international prosperity network.
- Mike Pompeo, US Secretary of State
India and US have ability to shape a larger agenda: S Jaishankar on overall ties with US
We need to resolve pending problems and move into something bigger: S Jaishankar on trade ties with US at India Ideas summit
Delhi: 1,227 Covid positive cases, 1,532 recovered/discharged/migrated and 29 deaths reported today.
- 1,26,323 total positive cases
- 1,07,650 recovered/discharged/migrated
- 3,719 deaths
SC to hear appeal of Rajasthan Assembly speaker CP Joshi tomorrow
A three-judge bench of Supreme Court will tomorrow hear the appeal of Rajasthan Assembly speaker CP Joshi against the stay order passed by Rajasthan High Court on the writ petition by Sachin Pilot & 18 other MLAs asking Speaker to not take action against them till 24th July.
Uttarkhand CM invites Sundar Pichai to explore opportunities in the state
Uttarakhand Chief Minister Trivendra Singh Rawat in a letter to Sundar Pichai invited Google to explore opportunity in the state, adding that the government would ensure "complete support" to "make it happen".
Six retired bureaucrats move SC seeking an inquiry into govt's gross mismanagement of the Covid-19 pandemic
Six retired bureaucrats move Supreme Court through Advocate Prashant Bhushan seeking an independent inquiry by a Commission appointed under the Commissions of Inquiry Act, 1952 into Government's gross mismanagement of the Covid-19 pandemic in India. (ET Bureau reports)
Two more die as flood situation in Assam deteriorates, over 26 lakh people affected across 26 districts: Bulletin
3 experts injured in Assam's Baghjan explosion discharged from hospital
Three experts, who suffered burns in the explosion near well number 5 of Oil India Limited (OIL) in Baghjan, have been discharged after the treatment on Wednesday.
Operations underway to douse fire near Oil India's well no 5 in Assam's Baghjan
- Operations are underway to douse the fire following an explosion occurred near well number 5 of Oil India Limited in Baghjan injuring three foreign experts who were present at the site.
- Water is being sprayed at well number 5 of Oil India as part of the operations to douse fire at the location.
Global COVID-19 count touches 15 million
- The worldwide number of confirmed coronavirus cases has touched 15 million, Johns Hopkins University dashboard shows.
- More than 617,254 people have died globally due to the infection, according to the data compiled by the university.
UK to open citizenship path to Hong Kongers from January
- Britain's government announced Wednesday that it will open a new special pathway to obtaining British citizenship for eligible Hong Kongers from January 2021.
- In a statement, the Home Office said holders of the British National Overseas passport and their immediate family members can move to the U.K. to work and study. The change to immigration rules was introduced after China imposed a new, sweeping national security law on Hong Kong.
J&K: Complete lockdown in Samba and Baribrahmana tehsils from July 23 to July 26
In view of the spur in COVID19 cases, Samba District Magistrate orders complete lockdown in Samba and Baribrahmana tehsils from July 23 to July 26; essential services allowed.
Manipur to go under complete lockdown for 14 days, starting 2 pm tomorrow.
Karnataka: 5,849 new COVID-19 cases reported in the last 24 hours
Total number of cases stands at 1,86,492 including 51,765 active cases and 2700 deaths.
Kerala: Highest single day spike of 1,038 new Covid cases
- Out of the new cases, 226 cases have been reported in Thiruvananthapuram.
- Number of active cases now stands at 8,818.
L&T reports 79 per cent fall in Q1 net profit at Rs 303 crore
Infrastructure giant Larsen & Toubro on Wednesday reported a profit after tax (PAT) of Rs 303 crore in the quarter ended June, reflecting a decline of 79 per cent versus Rs 1,473 crore in the corresponding quarter of the previous year.
India responding with utmost urgency to COVID-19 from start: WHO
India is responding with utmost urgency to coronavirus from the very beginning and has been continuously strengthening preparedness and response measures, WHO Regional Director (South-East Asia) Poonam Khetrapal Singh said on Wednesday.
Had an excellent interaction with the newly elected BJP Rajya Sabha MPs. It was wonderful to hear their views and passion towards public service. This is a group of MPs who are diverse and will certainly make effective contributions to Parliamentary proceedings.
- PM Narendra Modi
Sachin Pilot files a caveat before Supreme Court to ensure that no orders are passed on Rajasthan Speaker CP Joshi's petition without hearing Pilot and his supporting MLAs.
Thomas Cook, SOTC offer Covid-negative certification in association with ICMR accredited labs
Thomas Cook India and its group company SOTC Travel have partnered with Indian Council of Medical Research (ICMR) accredited medical centres pan India, becoming the first travel service providers to offer seamless, end-to-end COVID-negative certification services.
SC to hear Rajasthan speakers plea tomorrow
SC will hear tomorrow Rajasthan speakers plea against high court order restraining him from taking up the disqualification notices against congress rebels led by Sachin pilot.
6 BSF staffers among 24 new COVID-19 cases in Meghalaya
Andhra Pradesh reports 6,045 new Covid-19 cases and 65 deaths
Total number of cases rise to 64,713 including 31,763 active cases, 32,127 discharges and 823 deaths: State COVID-19 Nodal Officer
U.S. to pay Pfizer and BioNTech $1.95 billion to produce millions of doses of COVID-19 vaccine
- Pfizer Inc and German biotech firm BioNTech SE will get $1.95 billion from the U.S. government to produce and deliver 100 million doses of their COVID-19 vaccine candidate.
- The agreement allows the U.S. government to acquire an additional 500 million doses, the Department of Health and Human Services and the Department of Defense said.
Gujarat govt directs self-financed schools in state not to collect tuition fees from students as long as they remain shut
L&T Q1 results: Net profit plunges 68% to Rs 536.88 crore
5 new COVID19 positive cases have been reported in Dharavi
- Total number of cases to 2507
- 2116 discharges
- 141 active cases
Uttarakhand CM writes to Sundar Pichai
Uttarakhand CM Trivendra Singh Rawat has written a letter to Alphabet (parent company of Google) CEO Sundar Pichai, requesting him to invest in the IT sector of the state. He has promised all support to Google: Chief Minister's Office
Five of over 88,000 students, who took up Kerala Engineering Architecture Medical examination held recently across state, test positive for COVID19: Officials
Haryana Civil Services (Executive Branch) Rules amended
- The new rules will be called Haryana Civil Services (Executive Branch) Amendment Rules, 2020.
- Now there'll be 2 papers of 100 marks each (objective type) in the preliminary examination.