Sikkim logs 41 new COVID positive cases
- Sikkim reported 41 fresh positive cases in the past 24 hours taking its COVID-19 tally to 2,856, an official said on Tuesday. The Himalayan state now has 667 active cases, while 2,154 patients have been cured of the infection so far. The death toll due to coronavirus in Sikkim remained unchanged at 35, the official said.
Coronavirus: Latest global developments
- The secretary-general of the UN, Antonio Guterres, calls for "responsible leadership" in a message released to mark the one million deaths globally from Covid-19.
- "Our world has reached an agonizing milestone: the loss of one million lives from the COVID-19 pandemic," Guterres says.
- The death toll stands at 1,006,675 people around the world, according to an AFP tally based on official sources.
- The United States has suffered the most deaths, with 205,107, followed by Brazil with 142,058, India with 96,318, Mexico with 76,603 and Britain with 42,072.
- US President Donald Trump announces the distribution of 150 million rapid coronavirus tests ordered from Abbott Laboratories that are able to deliver a result in 15 minutes and display it in a similar format to a home pregnancy kit.
- The World Health Organization says 120 million more will be available for the developing world at $5 each as long as funding is secured.
- Up to 100 million additional doses of any eventual safe and effective Covid-19 vaccines will be secured for delivery to poorer countries in 2021, doubling the amount available, the vaccine alliance Gavi announces.
West Bengal reports 3,188 new COVID-19 cases, 62 more deaths
West Bengal on Tuesday reported 3,188 new cases of COVID-19, taking its tally to 2,53,768, as per a bulletin issued by the Health Department. The COVID-19 toll rose to 4,899 after 62 more people died.
Crown prince becomes oil-rich Kuwait's new ruling emir
Kuwait's Crown Prince Sheikh Nawaf Al Ahmad Al Sabah became the oil-rich nation's new ruling emir on Tuesday night, reaching the highest post in the country after decades in its security services. Sheikh Nawaf, 83, had served as the crown prince since 2006, jumping a traditional order of alternating rule between the Al Jaber and the Al Salim branches of the country's ruling family.
Abu Dhabi's Mubadala in advanced talks to invest up to $1 bln in Reliance Retail: Sources
- Abu Dhabi state fund Mubadala Investment Co is in advanced talks to invest up to $1 billion in the retail division of India's Reliance Industries Ltd, two sources told Reuters, as investor interest in the Indian company surges.
- Reliance Retail is on a fund raising spree and has secured around $1.8 billion in the past few weeks from KKR & Co and Silver Lake Partners.
Finland orders bars and restaurants to close at 1 a.m.
Finland's government decided on Tuesday evening that bars and restaurants across the country would have to close at 1 a.m., while alcohol sales will end at midnight, starting October 8, in order to contain the spread of COVID-19.
Any person who had tested positive for COVID-19 & subsequently tested negative, need not undergo rapid antigen/RT-PCR test on arrival in Assam by air/road/railways & isolation/quarantine, subject to production of satisfactory test result documents: Assam govt
Delhi HC directs Delhi University to file affidavit on deadlines for issuing paper degrees
- The Delhi High Court has directed Delhi University to file an affidavit in respect of the specific deadlines for issuance of paper degrees to those students who graduated prior to 2019 and those who would graduate in 2020.
- The court also said that the affidavit should also mention timelines to be specified for transmission of mark sheets and degree certificates to Digilocker in a phased manner.
- A bench of Justice Prathiba M. Singh also asked DU to indicate in its affidavit the mechanism to be devised for issuance of online transcripts in respect of those students who need the same urgently and data relating to the issuance of online degree certificates.
Regulatory authorities in Dubai recommends Air India Express to reject RT-PCR test reports from four labs of Jaipur, Kerala & Delhi, the airline says
Vice President Venkaiah Naidu has tested positive for COVID-19.
J&K Bank gets shareholders' nod to raise up to Rs 4,500 cr capital via equity, debt
- Jammu and Kashmir Bank on Tuesday said it has received shareholders' nod to raise up to Rs 4,500 crore through equity and debt to fund its business plan.
- Besides, the shareholders also approved the proposal to increase the authorised share capital of the bank from Rs 95 crore to Rs 250 crore in its annual general meeting (AGM) held on September 28.
Delhi Court dismisses bail plea of scribe Rajeev Sharma in espionage case.
COVID-19: 1,215 cases, 34 deaths in Nagpur, 1,418 discharged
The number of COVID-19 cases in Nagpur increased by 1,215 on Tuesday to reach 77,030, while 34 people succumbed to the infection and 1,418 were discharged during the day, an official said.
LS Speaker after consultation with VP M Venkaiah Naidu, appoints chairpersons and members of 24 Department Related Standing Committees of Parliament
India may impose safeguard duty on Phthalic Anhydride imports from South Korea
Bombay High Court reserves order as Rhea, Showik bail arguments close
Hathras gang rape: Congress & Bhim Army workers protest outside Safdarjung Hospital, Delhi
Maharashtra reports 14,976 new COVID-19 cases, 430 deaths and 19,212 discharges today
- Total cases in the state rise to 13,66,129
- This includes 36,181 deaths and 10,69,159 discharges
- Active cases stand at 2,60,363
Bihar: Chief Election Commissioner Sunil Arora along with a team of officials arrived at Patna Airport
Madhya Pradesh: Additional Director General (ADG) Purushottam Sharma suspended
Director Shekhar Kapur has been appointed as the new President of FTII Society and Chairman of FTII Governing Council
48 deaths and 3,227 fresh positive cases reported in Delhi, in the last 24 hours
The total number of COVID19 cases now stands at 2,76,325
This includes 2,43,481 recoveries, 27,524 active cases and 5,320 deaths
Kuwait's ruling Emir Sheikh Sabah al-Ahmad al-Sabah has passed away
His designated successor is his brother, Crown Prince Sheikh Nawaf al-Ahmad al-Sabah: Reuters
Indian economy among worst performing in world; it will see revival in July-September quarter: Nobel Laureate Abhijit Banerjee
Tamil Nadu government extends COVID-19 lockdown till October 31, with some more relaxations
BJP announces the first list of candidates for the forthcoming election to 6th Ladakh Autonomous Hill Development Council, Leh
The stand taken and the statements made by Amnesty International are unfortunate, exaggerated and far from the truth: GoI
- Amnesty International had received permission under the FCRA only once and that too twenty years ago
- Since then Amnesty International, despite its repeated applications, has been denied FCRA approval by successive govts
- To circumvent the FCRA regulations, Amnesty UK remitted large amounts of money to four entities registered in India, by classifying it as FDI
- A significant amount of foreign money was also remitted to Amnesty (India) without MHA’s approval under FCRA
- This mala fide rerouting of money was in contravention of extant legal provisions
2,148 new COVID-19 cases, 1,800 discharged cases & 15 deaths reported in Rajasthan today.
The total number of positive cases rises to 1,33,119 till date, including 20,376 active cases, 1,10,254 discharged cases and 1,471 deaths
Co-chaired the 6th meeting of the India-Bangladesh Joint Consultative Commission with Foreign Minister Dr. A.K. Abdul Momen. Comprehensive and productive meeting reviewing the full range of our cooperation: EAM Dr S.Jaishankar
"I want to point out that this a drug syndicate and that they are all interlinked. All persons arrested till now, are connected with each other and it is a syndicate. There were regular links & purchasing," says Singh.
"This is not a case related to #SushantSinghRajput, he may have been one of the consumers but the entire transaction and deal is not restricted to him," ASG Anil Singh for Narcotics Control Bureau says, opposing bail pleas of Rhea Chakraborty, Showik Chakraborty and others.
An earthquake of 4.1 magnitude on the Richter Scale occurred at 3:49pm today in Rajkot, Gujarat: Institute of Seismological Research
ASG Anil Singh for Narcotics Control Bureau opposes bail pleas of Rhea Chakraborty, Showik Chakraborty and others.
"All throughout arguments, applicants state that this is connected to Sushant Singh Rajput death case but this investigation has nothing to do with it," says Singh.
5:39 PM · Sep 29, 2020·
Tamil Nadu reported 5,546 new COVID-19 cases, 5,501 recoveries & 70 deaths today, taking total positive cases to 5,91,943, including 5,36,209 recoveries, 9,453 deaths & 46,281 active cases
New alliance aims to free people of Bihar from the problems of unemployment, poverty and floods. I appeal to the people of Bihar to give a chance to this alliance. The poor, downtrodden, farmers & youths of the state have been ignored by previous govts: BSP chief Mayawati
Everyone observing festivities to abide by all guidelines issued in view of COVID-19. Idols at home cannot be higher than 2 feet & those at pandals have to be under 4 feet. Garbha & dandiya events will not be held: Maharashtra Home Department's guidelines for Navratri festivities
We have decided to fight elections in Bihar in alliance with Upendra Kushwaha's Rashtriya Lok Samta Party & other parties. Upendra Kushwaha will be the CM if this alliance gets blessing of people of Bihar in the polls: Bahujan Samaj Party (BSP) chief Mayawati
J&K LG Manoj Sinha today reviewed Back to Village-3 preparedness & instructed officers to gear up for the 3-day dedicated activities. He gave a clarion call to own B2V3 & make it a huge success. LG was also briefed about the activities undertaken during Jan Abhiyaan: J&K Govt
We all need to ensure that in the coming months, we celebrate 'mask wali puja, mask wali Chhath, mask wali Diwali, mask wala Dussehra, mask wali Eid,' in order to curb the spread of COVID-19: Dr VK Paul, Member (Health), NITI Aayog
Narcotics Control Bureau (NCB), Bengaluru arrests members of drug syndicate following detailed analysis after a parcel destined to India from Netherlands, containing 750 MDMA tablets, was seized in July. Contraband was ordered through darknet & payment was made with bitcoins: NCB
Border Security Force (BSF) troops foiled an arms & ammunition smuggling attempt by anti-national elements in Mamit district, Mizoram on 28th Sept. 28 AK series rifles, one AK-47, 28 magazines, two Khukhris, other ammunition & Rs 39,020 recovered from 3 persons in 2 vehicles: BSF
Of 29,082 people surveyed from Aug 17 to Sep 22, 6.6 per cent showed evidence of past exposure to SARS-COV2: ICMR sero survey
Second sero survey by ICMR shows considerable population still vulnerable and susceptible to coronavirus infection: Health Ministry
India categorically rejects Chinese interpretation of Line of Actual Control in Ladakh
India expects China to refrain from advancing an untenable unilateral interpretation of the Line of Actual Control(LAC), says MEA
We've seen report quoting a Chinese Foreign Ministry statement on China’s position on Line of Actual Control (LAC) in India-China border areas. India never accepted the so-called unilaterally defined 1959 LAC. The position has been consistent,well known; including to Chinese: MEA
Kangana Ranaut property demolition matter: Bombay High Court adjourns matter till 5th October for written submissions.
We expect the Chinese side will sincerely and faithfully abide by all agreements and understandings in their entirety and refrain from advancing an untenable unilateral interpretation of the LAC: Ministry of External Affairs
Mumbai Police's Crime Branch arrested a person with 480 gms MD drug worth Rs 14 lakhs from Goregaon yesterday. A court has sent him to police custody till October 3: Mumbai Police, Maharashtra
The number of COVID-19 tests per million population has crossed 50,000 in India. Total 2.97 crore tests conducted in the month of September: Ministry of Health
Delhi Deputy CM Manish Sisodia discharged from Max hospital today after he tested negative for COVID-19. Doctors have advised him to take rest for a week: Office of Deputy CM
Government considering selling 25% stake in LIC in phases
- The govt is planning to amend the act of parliament under which the state-run LIC of India was set up to prepare for the sale
- The timing of the insurer’s initial public offering will be depend on market conditions
- The sale is likely to be done in tranches
- A finance ministry spokesman was not immediately available for a comment.
The number of recovered cases in India crosses 51 lakhs which is the highest in the world: Ministry of Health
India considers selling 25% stake in state-run Life Insurance Corp of India
Supreme Court directs all the state governments to ensure that dry ration is provided to sex workers without insisting on any proof of identification
The Dornier aircraft provided by the Indian Navy to the Maldives, today landed in the Maldives. It will operate under the command of the MNDF (Maldives National Defence Force).
Sensex edges 8.41 points lower to end at 37,973.22; Nifty slips 5.15 points to 11,222.40
ED was probing a private company linked to Amnesty India: Govt sources to PTI
There is no ED investigation against Amnesty International India Foundation: Govt Sources to PTI
United Arab Emirates to launch spacecraft to moon in 2024