!1 New UpdateClick here for latest updates
Total cases tops 500,000 globally, death toll at 23,004
Yavatmal police stopped two trucks carrying people, at a border check post on the Maharashtra-Telangana border:
Yavatmal police stopped two trucks carrying people, at a border check post on the Maharashtra-Telangana border.
5 more people tested positive for COVID19 in Maharashtra today (3 from Sangli and 1 each from Kolhapur & Pune), taking the total number of confirmed cases in the state to 130.
- Maharashtra Health Department
35 private laboratories across the country have been given the green signal from Indian Council of Medical Research (ICMR) to conduct COVID19 tests.
Air India operates special flight to take back 300 Israelis home
- A Boeing 777 aircraft departed from Delhi around 4 pm and is expected to land at Tel Aviv around 7.30 pm (local time).
- During the last few weeks, Air India has conducted various special flights to bring back Indians from different cities of the world.
MHA: Suppliers of essential goods, including restaurants supplying home delivery of cooked food items exempted from lockdown
Local markets which earlier remained open from 7 am to 10 am, will now remain open till 1 pm in order to avoid rush for buying essential commodities.
- Uttarakhand Chief Minister's Office
New York state virus deaths spike to 385, 100 in single day
New York's governor Andrew Cuomo said Thursday that the populous US state's coronavirus death tally has jumped to 385, with 100 fatalities in the past day.
Trump expected to send US troops to Canada border to support operations amid coronavirus crisis
U.S. President Donald Trump is expected to send troops to the border with Canada to support border operations amid the growing coronavirus crisis, two U.S. government officials told Reuters.
G20 leaders agreed to take all necessary measures to contain #COVID19 pandemic & protect people. They also supported the strengthening of WHO’s mandate in the fight against pandemics, including delivery of medical supplies, diagnostic tools, treatments, medicines & vaccines.
Another COVID19 positive case reported just now; a patient from Rajouri district in Jammu. History of close contact with a (now deceased) positive case: Rohit Kansal, J&K Principal Secretary (Planning)
Combating COVID-19: UP Police register 2,941 cases
- The Uttar Pradesh Police have registered 2,941 cases and collected Rs 1,56,98,117 as fine for violating the prohibitory orders.
- According to a statement by the state police, 6,461 vehicles have been seized and over three lakh vehicles have been fined.
- The cases have been lodged under Section 188 of the Indian Penal Code (IPC).
Nearly 11,000 convicts & undertrials who are imprisoned for offences with prescribed punishment up to 7 years or less should be released on emergency parole or furlough to reduce overcrowding in prisons & to contain COVID19 outbreak.
- Maharashtra Home Minister Anil Deshmukh
Karnataka reports second COVID-19 fatality; Total positive cases rises to 55
U.S. Attorney General Barr Says he has asked federal prisons to expand use of home confinement to contain the spread of coronavirus
Virus cases in Italy's Lombardy rise by some 2,500 on Thursday, data "not good": Official
A 65-year-old woman, diagnosed with COVID-19, dies in Mumbai: Civic authorities.
Toyota extends shutdown of North American plants through April 17
- Toyota Motor Corp said it will extend a shutdown of all North American plants for two weeks due to the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic and decline in vehicle demand.
- The largest Japanese automaker said it will keep all assembly and component parts plants in Canada, Mexico and the United States closed through April 17.
- Many U.S. states have issued shelter in place orders. Other automakers are extending shutdowns that were initially announced in March, including Ford Motor Co.
China orders sharp cuts in flights in, out of country to curb coronavirus risk
- China reports 67 new coronavirus cases on March 25
- All new cases on March 25 were travellers from abroad.
- Beijing, Shanghai to quarantine all overseas arrivals.
PM Modi during the G20 Virtual Summit, made a point that the forum has become a platform to address financial & economic issues.
Maharashtra to release around 11, 000 convicts on parole.
Need a war-time plan to win the war against COVID-19: Guterres at G20 virtual summit
“We are at war with a virus – and not winning it. It took the world three months to reach 100,000 confirmed cases of infection. The next 100,000 happened in just 12 days. The third took four days. The fourth, just one and a half,” Guterres said.
Speaker Pelosi: $2.2 trillion coronavirus economic relief bill will pass House on Friday 'with strong bipartisan support'
88 new COVID cases reported in the country today, the highest in a single day. The total number of cases rises to 694 as per the Ministry of Health & Family Welfare data.
Death toll due to COVID-19 rises to 16 in India; cases soar to 694
- In its updated figures at 8 pm, the ministry stated that 16 COVID-19 deaths were reported so far in the country.
- The number of active COVID-19 cases in the country stood at 694, while 44 people were either cured or discharged and one had migrated.
- The total of cases reported till Wednesday was 606.
Total number of coronavirus positive patients rises to 18 in Haryana
Two more test corona positive in Punjab, count rises to 33
Madhya Pradesh coronavirus count rises to 21; 6 more test positive
Bihar: One more COVID19 case in the state, a 20-year-old boy from Patna with no travel history, confirms Nalanda Medical College and Hospital (NMCH). The total number of positive cases in the state rises to 7.
Tamil Nadu: Fire and Rescue Department today sprayed bleach sanitizer in Nochikuppam fishermen's housing board residence in Chennai.
453 people arrested between 5 pm on 25th March and 5 pm today for deliberately violating coronavirus lockdown.
- Kolkata Police
2234 people were arrested and 1447 vehicles seized across Kerala today for flouting lockdown regulations.
Dalmia Bharat suspends cement production across country
Dalmia Bharat operates across nine states and 12 manufacturing units with a combined annual capacity of 26.5 million tonnes.
3.3 million seek US jobless aid, nearly 5 times earlier high
- The surge in weekly applications was a stunning reflection of the damage the viral outbreak is inflicting on the economy.
- Filings for unemployment aid generally reflect the pace of layoffs.
- Layoffs are sure to accelerate as the U.S. economy sinks into a recession.
- Revenue has collapsed at restaurants, hotels, movie theaters, gyms, and airlines.
- Auto sales are plummeting, and car makers have closed factories.
- Most such employers face loan payments and other fixed costs, so they're cutting jobs to save money.
- As job losses mount, some economists say the nation's unemployment rate could approach 13% by May.
- By comparison, the highest jobless rate during the Great Recession, which ended in 2009, was 10%.
Kerala reports 19 fresh cases of coronavirus, taking total under treatment to 126.
- CM Pinarayi Vijayan
Kerala reports 19 more cases today
19 people tested positive across Kerala today takjng the tolal number of cases in the state to 138. Northern district of Kannur reported nine cases today . Of the total number,12 recovered and have been discharged from hospitals so far.
Nagpur's first COVID19 patient discharged from Indira Gandhi Medical College & Hospital (IGMC) after his second sample tested negative: Dr. Ajay Keoliya, Dean IGMC Nagpur.
Government extends ban on international flights till April 14
- In a measure to minimise the spread of novel coronavirus, the government today has extended the ban on international flights till 6.30 p.m., April 14.
- However, the order will not apply to approved international cargo operations.
- The cases of coronavirus has already surpassed 600, as the nation enters day 2 of the 21-day lockdown.
- The government had banned all international commercial flights landing in India for a week beginning March 22.
Jammu & Kashmir: Ranbir Singh Pura police is putting stamps reading 'corona lockdown violator' on the hands of people in the city who are violating the coronavirus Lockdown. Shabir Khan, SDPO, RS Pura says, "We are using a permanent ink that takes around 15 days to erase".
There would be no restriction on the timings of essential service shops. I assure that the food delivery boys will face no difficulty in carrying out their duties.
- Anil Deshmukh, Maharashtra Home Minister
It has been decided that scheduled international commercial passenger services shall remain closed till 18:30 hrs (GMT) of April 14, 2020.
Two more test positive for coronavirus in Kashmir; number of cases rise to 13 in Jammu & Kashmir: Officials
More than 250,000 positive coronavirus cases in Europe
- The tally of total positive cases in Europe surged past 250,000 in Europe on Thursday as Spain becomes the second-worst affected country after Italy.
- At least 4,089 people have now died from Covid-19 in Spain with a total of 56,188 cases recorded.
- But the rise in the death toll of 655 in the past 24 hours was a smaller increase than the record 738 set on Wednesday.
- Spain continues to be the country with the second-highest number of fatalities from coronavirus, surpassed only by Italy.
- China, where the outbreak began, has had 3,291 deaths, according to Johns Hopkins University figures.
- Before Wednesday, Spain had recorded 47,610 total cases with 3,434 deaths.
Community transmission phase of COVID-19 will begin if community, govt don't work together: Health Ministry
- "Community transmission phase of COVID-19 will start if the community and we (the government) do not work collectively and follow guidelines.
- But it would never happen in India if we follow social distancing and treatment properly," said Lav Aggarwal, Joint Secretary, Union Health Ministry.
- A total of 649 confirmed cases of COVID-19 have been reported in India, the Union Health Ministry said today.
Coronavirus outbreak: Commerce ministry sets up help desk to resolve import, export issues
- The commerce ministry on Thursday said it has set up a help desk to resolve export- and import-related issues arising due the coronavirus outbreak.
It was operationalised by the Directorate General of Foreign Trade (DGFT).
"A help desk has been operationalised by DGFT for export/import-related issues being faced in the current situation," it said.
Coronavirus lockdown: Functioning of Odisha HC, subordinate courts to remain suspended till April 15
Govt plan soon for healthy lifestyle during 21-day coronavirus lockdown
- In a bid to encourage people to follow a healthy lifestyle during their 21 days lockdown home quarantine, the Union Ministry of Health is chalking out a plan called Behavioral Social Intervention for COVID-19.
According to the official, experts from the National Institute of Mental Health and Neuro-Sciences (NIMHANS) and the Indian Association of Psychology Society are developing innovative activities for people to boost their mental health.
Swiss coronavirus cases top 10,000, with 161 deaths
DRDO scientists are working on the development of many products to tackle COVID-19
Combating COVID-19: Places of worship being closed, Srinagar DM asks people to stay home
Use tech aggressively in battle against COVID-19: Telecom & IT expert
A top telecom and information technology expert on Thursday pitched for aggressive use of technology in the battle against COVID-19, leveraging the capabilities of tech companies to deploy quick solutions. The former Telecom and IT Secretary R Chandrashekhar said technological methods can be used to keep essential services going during the lock-down period.
64 per cent of Indian businesses ready to tackle COVID-19 crisis: Survey
Overall 64 per cent of Indian businesses are ready or getting ready to ride through the ongoing crisis due to COVID-19, while 3 per cent of small and medium businesses (SMBs) said they are well prepared and 39 per cent of large businesses said they are gearing up, according to the survey by job site Indeed.
Government's relief package for poor first step in right direction: Rahul Gandhi
"The Govt announcement today of a financial assistance package is the first step in the right direction. India owes a debt to its farmers, daily wage earners, labourers, women and the elderly who are bearing the brunt of the ongoing lockdown," Gandhi said in a tweet.
GiveIndia launches mission to support coronavirus-hit families
Online platform GiveIndia has started a mission to support families impacted by the COVID-19 pandemic in India, which is likely to result in loss of livelihoods for a very large number of people -- especially among the daily wage workers. About 80 per cent of those employed in India are in the unorganised sector and will be deeply affected in the coming months, it said on Thursday.
TN Govt extends lockdown till April 14
The lockdown, announced by Chief Minister K Palainswami on Monday as part of the government's measures to tackle COVID-19, was originally scheduled to be in force till March 31, 2020.
Centre caps MRP of 3 ply meltblown face masks at Rs 16/piece till June 30
Pope reportedly tests negative for virus after Vatican scare
Pope Francis was reported Thursday to have tested negative for the novel coronavirus after a person in his residence was said to have contacted COVID-19. Several Italian newspapers with reputable sources in the Vatican said the Italian clergyman who got sick had lived for years in the pope's Saint Martha's residence.
Police in Kerala, in association with a few NGOs in state, have started kitchens to feed the homeless in capital city Thiruvananthapuram during the entire period of the lockdown.