!1 New UpdateClick here for latest updates
Wrap Up: All you need to know about Covid-19 pandemic
- MAHARASHTRA: 2,940 new cases & 63 deaths today; tally 44,582
- TAMIL NADU: 786 new cases; tally 14,753
- GUJARAT: 363 new cases; 802 deaths; tally 13,273
- RAJASTHAN: 267 new cases; tally 6,494
- UTTAR PRADESH: 263 new cases; 3,238 recovered; 138 deaths; 2,243 active cases; tally 5,619
- WEST BENGAL: 135 new cases & 6 deaths today; tally 3,322
- BIHAR: 118 new cases; tally rises to 2,105
- PUNJAB: 143 active cases; 39 deaths; tally 2,029
- TELANGANA: 62 new cases reported; tally 1,761
- KARNATAKA: 138 new cases; tally 1,743
- JAMMU & KASHMIR: 40 new cases; tally 1,489
- HARYANA: 37 new cases; tally at 1,067
- KERALA: 42 new cases; 216 active cases; tally 732
- JHARKHAND: 15 new cases; tally 323
- ASSAM: 29 new cases; tally 259
- HIMACHAL PRADESH: 14 new cases; 102 active cases; tally 166
- UTTARAKHAND: 5 new cases; 94 active cases; tally 153
- GOA: 2 new cases; 38 active cases; tally 54
Jammu & Kashmir: Mosques in Srinagar remained closed today.
People offered 'Alvida namaz' at their homes, amid COVID19 lockdown.
Christ College of Engineering, Irinjalakuda, has developed a technology to aid churches to carry out the religious practice of confession with mandatory social distancing as per COVID-19 guidelines.
- The new system includes a headset, mic & an allied equipment designed to fit into existing confession rooms of the church.
- The system is able to communicate clearly between a devotee & the priest, as well as maintain social distancing, says PJ Alangaden, Asst Prof, Christ College of Engineering, Thrissur
A migrant worker tries to immolate himself in Bihar
A migrant worker, who was quarantined at a centre in Bihar in Gaighat Block, attempted to immolate himself because of personal issues. He is now under treatment at a hospital: Muzaffarpur District Magistrate (DM) Chandrashekhar Singh
People offered namaz at Jama Masjid today, on the last Friday of Ramzan.
A large number of people wanted to offer prayers at Jama Masjid on Jumat-ul-Vida today. We told them they should offer prayers at their homes. Today only the staff of Jama Masjid & a few members of family offered prayers here & maintained social distancing: Shahi Imam of Jama Masjid
Delhi Transport Department planning to start disinfection services for public, private vehicles at minimal cost at all fuel stations in city: Officer
Bihar CM digitally inspects quarantine centres
Bihar Chief Minister Nitish Kumar on Friday took stock of the situation in coronavirus quarantine centres in the state through video conferencing besides interacting with those staying there. Kumar, who inspected 20 quarantine centres in the 10 districts, acquired first-hand knowledge of the facilities being provided at these centres such as drinking water, toilet, kitchen and sanitation, an official release said.
2 more employees of Lok Sabha Secretariat, including a security official, test positive for COVID19: Sources
So far 3 Secretariat employees have tested positive. (PTI reports)
Postponed exams of classes 10, 12 to be held in Kerala from May 26: CM Pinarayi Vijayan
Not a single Covid-19 patient is on ventilator support today, says Karnataka Minister
- Karnataka has drawn comfort from the fact that fewer than 2% of Covid-19 patients had used an ICU in the state and very few required ventilator support.
- “We have 1,104 active positive persons under treatment today, and not one of them is on ventilator support. This has given us a big relief,” education minister S Suresh Kumar told ET.
- Since March, only 24 patients needed ventilator support, and 16 of them did not survive, the minister said. So far, the state has reported 1,743 Covid-19 cases.
Government of Haryana issues SOP for hair cutting salons and barber shops and advisory for performing marriage function.
- Appointments or token to be adopted to stagger client's entry at salons/barber shops.
- All guests should have downloaded Aarogya Setu App on their mobile.
On first day of resumption of bus services in Maharashtra, 11,151 passengers ferried on 457 routes: MSRTC official
Over 66 lakh Indians made intra-state travels from April 30-May 12: Govt sources
Rajasthan: 267 new COVID19 cases reported today
The total number of positive cases in the state now stands at 6,494
Uttarakhand: The total number of COVID19 cases in the state now stands at 153
Assam: 29 cases are confirmed COVID19 positive- 26 from Sarusajai quarantine centre and 1 each from Nagaon, Sivasagar and Tinsukia.
The total number of positive cases in the state is now 259.
People from Noida, Gr Noida with confirmed flight or train ticket will not need additional 'pass' for travel to Delhi: Police order
Telangana: 62 new cases reported, taking the total to 1,761
The state so far suffered 48 Covid deaths, while it saw 1,043 cured and discharged.
ICC recommends gloves for umpires, CMOs and 14-day isolation camps for post-COVID cricket
- The ICC on Friday recommended a slew of radical measures, including the appointment of chief medical officers, a 14-day pre-match isolation training camp and use of gloves by umpires while handling the ball, as international cricket plotted its return from the coronavirus hiatus.
- As member nations ease restrictions imposed to contain the COVID-19 pandemic, the International Cricket Council issued comprehensive guidelines aimed at getting the sport up and running around the world while at the same time maintaining the highest safety protocols.
A woman gave birth onboard a bus travelling to Uttar Pradesh from Maharashtra today.
Nodal Officer-COVID19 says, "The delivery of the baby happened on board the bus near Rau. Immediately, both the mother and the child were admitted to a hospital, both are doing well".
Central Govt revises the advisory on the use of Hydroxychloroquine (HCQ) as prophylactic for COVID19 infection.
Govt has now expanded it to asymptomatic healthcare and frontline workers deployed in non-COVID and COVID areas.
English-medium government schools to be opened in 76 blocks in Rajasthan
Haryana: 37 new cases take tally to 1,067
- Gurgaon reports one more death.
- Total number of active cases in state rises to 345.
Ahmedabad: 275 new cases, tally rises to 9,724
Death toll increases to 645 with 26 patients dying.
Over 2 lakh medical, engineering aspirants downloaded National Test Abyaas App within 72 hours of its launch by National Testing Agency.
- Ramesh Pokhriyal 'Nishank', Union HRD minister
West Bengal: 135 new COVID19 confirmed cases, 6 deaths & 28 discharged today.
Total cases confirmed in the state till 22nd May is 3,322, including 1,249 discharged and 199 deaths.
We demand government presents revised comprehensive economic package that will be a true stimulus: Opposition parties to Centre
International Cricket Council publishes guidelines for the safe resumption of cricket
- Develop an appropriate Covid-19 testing plan during training & competition.
- Develop a process for participants to report Covid-19 symptoms & for team doctors to monitor health.
- If spectators are permitted, consider restrictions & additional safety measures that'll need to be implemented.
Gujarat: In last 24 hours, 363 new COVID 19 cases reported
Taking the state's tally to 13,273 cases including 5,880 cured/discharged and 802 deaths.
Jharkhand: 15 new COVID19 cases reported in the state today
Total number of cases in the state now stands at 323
Mumbai: 1751 new COVID19 positive cases, 27 deaths reported today; tally rises to 27,068
J&K: 40 new COVID19 cases (33 from Kashmir division & 7 from Jammu division) reported today
Taking the total number of positive cases in the union territory to 1,489.
COVID-19 patient walks to hospital as ambulance 'unavailable'
- A COVID-19 patient had to walk for about seven kms to reach a civic-run hospital at Dombivli in Thane district from his home after he was told by the staff that there was no ambulance available to transport him, a senior official said on Friday.
- The incident took place on Thursday and a purported video of the man walking to the hospital went viral on social media, the official said.
- Commissioner of Kalyan Dombivli Municipal Corporation (KDMC), Dr Vijay Suryavanshi, said that he has taken cognizance of the incident and ordered an inquiry into it.
6 new COVID-19 containment zones declared in southwest Delhi
- Six new COVID-19 containment zones were declared in Dwarka and Kapashera area of southwest Delhi, the district administration said on Friday.
- The containment orders were issued on May 21 after around 39 cases of coronavirus were reported in parts of southwest Delhi, including Vikaspuri, Kanganheri village, Palam Colony and Sadh Nagar.
Advance reservation period of 15 pairs of special trains operating on Rajdhani routes extended from present 7 days to 30 days: Railways
- There shall be no Tatkal booking in these trains.
- RAC/Waiting list tickets will be issued in these trains as per extant instructions applicable.
- However, waitlisted passengers will not be allowed to board these trains.
- Tickets can be booked through computerised PRS counters, including at Post Offices, Yatri Ticket Suvidha Kendras, as well as online.
- Ticket booking changes applicable for special trains starting May 31.
53 new COVID19 positive cases reported in Mumbai's Dharavi area today.
Total positive cases in Dharavi increase to 1478 and 57 deaths.
Maharashtra: Highest spike of 2,940 COVID-19 cases in a single day today
- 1,751 new cases in Mumbai alone
- 27 deaths in Mumbai, 9 in Pune, 7 in Jalgaon & 5 in Solapur
- 63 people have died today
- Total number of positive cases in the state reaches 44,582
Haryana: 37 new cases, total number of COVID19 positive cases now at 1,067
'Maharashtra govt is considering to start tv production following all precautions'
- Today CM Uddhav Thackeray had a meeting with Indian Broadcasting Foundation where he told them that Maharashtra govt is considering to start tv production following all precautions. Govt will also look into the possibility if Shooting can be started in Film City: Maharashtra CMO
- Chief Minister has instructed Secretary to have discussions with all stakeholders and chalk out a plan in this regard as soon as possible: Maharashtra CMO
Oberoi Group rolls out enhanced health, safety programme across all hotels
- Hospitality firm The Oberoi Group on Friday said it has rolled out an enhanced health and safety programme at all Oberoi and Trident hotels for its guests and employees in the wake of COVID-19.
- The health and safety standards and procedures will be supervised by dedicated hygiene and safety managers at each hotel, as well as by senior members of the hotel management team, Oberoi Group said in a statement.
Mumbai: Liquor home delivery allowed in non-containment zones
- The Brihanmumbai Municipal Corporation (BMC) on Friday allowed home delivery of liquor in Mumbai, except in containment zones.
- But over-the-counter sale of liquor will not be allowed yet, it said.
5,000 people fined for not wearing masks in UP in past three-four days: Official
Punjab: Total number of COVID19 positive cases in the state now stands at 2,029
- 143 active cases
- 1847 recovered
- 39 deaths
Chandigarh: The total number of positive cases is now 219 including 178 discharged
Karnataka Govt issues revised lab testing protocol for COVID19.
Goa: 2 people test positive for COVID19 in the state today
Taking the total number of positive cases in the state to 54 including 38 active cases and 16 recovered.
Andhra Pradesh Chief Minister YS Jagan Mohan Reddy has launched Rs 1,110 crore 'ReStart package' for MSMEs.
Rs 450 crore released in the first instalment to benefit nearly 98,000 units which employ more than 10 lakh people: Andhra Pradesh CMO
COVID19 death toll rises to 110 in MP's Indore district after 67-year-old doctor succumbs to infection
5 new positive cases in Central Reserve Police Force Delhi detected & shifted to AIIMS Jhajjar
- One personnel of 31 battalion discharged from Rajiv Gandhi Super Speciality Hospital.
- Active cases reach 125 including 213 recovered cases and 2 deceased in CRPF.
- Total positive cases reach 340 in CRPF.
2 more tested positive for COVID19 in Hamirpur district.
Total number of positive cases in Himachal Pradesh rises to 166.
Children with COVID-19 may be less contagious than adults, UK scientists say
- Children have milder COVID-19 symptoms than adults and the balance of evidence suggests that children may have lower susceptibility and infectivity than adults, scientists advising the British government have said.
- The group of scientists concluded, "that there was some evidence that children had milder symptoms than adults but that evidence on susceptibility and transmission was as yet unclear and recommended consideration of additional data gathering."
UP CM directs officials to do skill mapping of migrant workers to provide jobs
Uttar Pradesh CM Yogi Adityanath directs officials concerned to do skill mapping of migrant workers so that they can be provided employment once they complete quarantine period.
699 Shramik special trains ran from Gujarat till May 21, carrying 10.15 lakh migrant workers: Gujarat CMO
Sikkim decides on opening of schools from June 15 onwards, the state has zero COVID19 cases
- Schools to reopen on June 15 for classes 9 to 12.
- No school for students of KG to class 8 for now.
- There will be no morning assembly.
- Social distancing norms will be followed.
- No holiday on Saturdays.
- Final exams in February 2021.
International travellers to UK set to face 14-day quarantine, fines
- The UK government is set to unveil tough new procedures later on Friday for international travellers coming into the country as the coronavirus pandemic lockdown is gradually eased, including 14-day mandatory quarantines and possible fines for a breach.
- Under the plans, to be formally announced by UK Home Secretary Priti Patel at the daily Downing Street briefing, health officials would be able to carry out spot checks to ensure people comply with their self-isolation at a designated address and impose a 1,000 pound fine on anyone breaking the quarantine.
Alcohol can be delivered at home in Mumbai except in containment zones.
Film shootings & post-production works in Telangana to resume in a phased manner
Telangana CM has stated that film shootings & post-production works, which were stopped due to the lockdown, would be resumed in a phased manner. CM has instructed the concerned officials to prepare guidelines to conduct film shootings in the State: Telangana CMO
Tamil Nadu: 786 new COVID19 positive cases reported in the state today
The total number of positive cases in the state rises to 14,753.
Assam: 6 people from Tezpur quarantine centre are found COVID19 positive
- All of them belong to the Sonitpur district.
- Total number of positive cases in Assam is now 2,22.
Yatra.com to provide free bus service for 3,500 UP migrants in Delhi, Gurugram
- Online travel solutions provider Yatra.com on Friday said it has partnered with the administrations of Delhi and Gurugram for ferrying over 3,500 migrants to various parts of Uttar Pradesh "free of cost".
- Starting May 22, the bus service will operate to multiple destinations in Uttar Pradesh, amidst nationwide lockdown triggered by the pandemic, Yatra.com said in a release.