Wrap up: Important highlights from the day
- Highest spike in Delhi, 1024 cases reported in last 24 hours from the capital.
- Total 827 positive cases reported today in Tamil Nadu, including persons who travelled from other states. TN crosses 19,000 mark.
- 367 new COVID-19 cases and 22 deaths have been reported in Gujarat.
- 84 new COVID-19 cases reported in Kerala today
- 115 new COVID-19 cases detected in Jammu and Kashmir; total tally 2,036
- 25 new positive cases have been reported in Assam; taking the total number of cases to 856. Active cases stand at 762.
- 9 new COVID-19 cases in Nagaland, total count at 18
- Today 36 new positive case have been reported in Dharavi area of Mumbai, taking the total number of positive cases to 1675.
- Almost 2,000 dead in Maharashtra due to Covid-19 till now
- Telangana reports 117 new Covid positive cases on Thursday, taking the total to 2,215.
Tom Hanks once again donates blood plasma for COVID research
IIT Alumni Council to set up mega lab in Mumbai to conduct 1-cr COVID-19 tests a month
Jharkhand's COVID-19 count rises to 469
369 positive cases and 10 deaths reported in the last 24 hours in Pune district.
Total death toll rises to 310 while the total positive cases in the district are 7012.
UV sanitisation bay set up at Western Naval Command: Navy
- The Indian Navy said an ultraviolet (UV) sanitisation bay to decontaminate things like tools, masks and clothes was set up at the naval dockyard in Mumbai, which is a part of the Western Naval Command.
- The facility is placed at the entry and exit points where it will help in mitigating COVID-19 transmission, the Navy stated.
Ahmedabad registers 247 new coronavirus cases; 16 more die
Haryana reports one more death, highest single-day spike in cases at 123
1438 persons have tested positive in Mumbai today; taking the total number of cases to 35,273.
Government of India removes restrictions on export of Paracetamol APIs making its export free with immediate effect.
Home Minister Amit Shah speaks to all CMs, seeks their views on extension of lockdown
China bans pork imports from India
- China is set to ban imports of pigs, wild boar and related products from India in an effort to prevent African swine fever (ASF) and ensure the safety of China's animal husbandry.
- The ban comes after tensions between the two countries flared up in Galwan Valley region.
No fare to be charged from migrants, states to provide free food till they board train or bus
- Supreme Court
123 new COVID-19 case in Haryana, count at 1,504
West Bengal on Thursday recorded the biggest single-day spike with 344 fresh COVID-19 cases
Taking the virus count to 4,536 in the state.
Govt of India removes restrictions on export of Paracetamol APIs making its export free with immediate effect.
Union Home Minister Amit Shah speaks to all CMs, seeks their views on extension of lockdown: Official
With 247 new COVID-19 cases in Ahmedabad, count rises to 11,344
16 patients die, taking the death toll to 780.
Poor sanitisation in Delhi markets, may risk COVID spread: CAIT to Lt Governor
Confederation of All India Traders (CAIT) on Thursday wrote to Delhi Lieutenant Governor Anil Baijal saying no sanitisation operations have commenced in any market of the capital even 10 days after opening of shops, raising the risk of COVID-19 spread.
Karnataka seeks to scale down flights from 5 states with high prevalence of COVID-19 cases
Total of 251 COVID19 cases reported till 8.30pm today; total number of positive cases in Rajasthan is now 8067
Telangana reports 117 new Covid positive cases on Thursday, taking the total to 2,215. The state so far suffered 66 Covid deaths, while it saw 1,345 cured and discharged.
In last 24 hours, 367 new cases and 22 deaths have been reported in Gujarat. Total positive cases stand at 15,572 and death toll is at 960: State Health Department
Delhi records highest single day spike in cases, 1024 in last 24 hrs
Railways Ministry increases the advance reservation period (ARP) from 30 days to 120 days
India evacuates around 350 Indians, mostly medical students, from Bangladesh through land route.
Cabinet Secretary Rajiv Gauba reviews COVID-19 situation in 13 worst hit cities
The 13 focused cities are Mumbai, Chennai, Delhi/New Delhi, Ahmedabad, Thane, Pune, Hyderabad, Kolkata/Howrah, Indore (Madhya Pradesh), Jaipur, Jodhpur, Chengalpattu and Thiruvallur (Tamil Nadu).
Almost 2,000 dead in Maharashtra due to Covid19 till now (1982 as of yet)
Today's figures 85 dead-37 of them died in last 2 days, rest from 15th May to 25th May. 22 of them died in Mumbai.1467 new cases in Mumbai today. Total number of cases in the state 38.939 active cases. (ET Bureau)
84 new COVID-19 cases reported in Kerala today: Kerala CM
NDMC seals headquarters after three employees test positive for COVID-19; 9 staffers infected so far
115 new COVID-19 cases detected in Jammu and Kashmir; total tally 2,036
China has given 'bad' gift to the world: US President Donald Trump
FM Nirmala Sitharaman chairs FSDC meeting, takes stock of economy amid COVID-19 crisis
The 22nd meeting of the council, held via video conferencing, assumes a greater significance considering that the economy is expected to contract by 5 per cent by some estimates amid the virus crisis.
Delhi people forced to abandon social distancing to get water: BJP
Tamil Nadu crosses 19,000 mark.
- 827 new cases of Coronarvirus reported in the state today. Highest single day spike.
- 559/827 cases are from Chennai.
- 639 patients discharged today. 12 new Covid19 deaths.
- Total tally: 19,372 cases, 10,548 discharged, 145 death
Total 827 positive cases reported today, including persons who travelled from other states. Tamil Nadu's total cases stand at 19,372.
With 19 new cases, Punjab's COVID-19 count reaches 2,158
Today 36 new positive case have been reported in Dharavi area of Mumbai, taking the total number of positive cases to 1675. Death toll stand at 61: BMC
Indian women facing shortage of menstrual hygiene products during COVID-19 pandemic: Study
The pandemic has also disrupted the production of menstrual hygiene products, with many small and medium scale manufacturing units facing a shortage of labour, raw material and working capital.
Karnataka suspends arrival of flights, trains from 5 states to contain COVID-19
Nine new COVID-19 cases in Nagaland, total count at 18
25 new positive cases have been reported in Assam; taking the total number of cases to 856. Active cases stand at 762.
S.Korea coronavirus cases jump to highest since early April as warehouse outbreak widens
The 36th National Games, scheduled in October-November in Goa, postponed due to pandemic.
New task forces to help 2.7 million teachers in India hit by COVID-19 lockdown: UNESCO
- UNESCO launched at the Teachers of the World Unite virtual summit this week, highlighted that 9.1 million teachers across the world who have been impacted by the pandemic-related school closures.
- The nine task forces will lend governments and international bodies the expertise and varied perspectives of teachers from every continent on key policies such as providing reliable internet access for all, solutions to keep children learning where there is no internet, and a safe environment for teachers and students to return to when schools reopen.
- During the session, UNESCO's Teacher Task Force also presented teachers with a draft toolkit of practical tips and checklists for school leaders to ensure they are supported and protected as schools begin to re-open.
EU pledges to stay green in recovery from coronavirus
The European Commission pledged Thursday to stay away from fossil-fueled projects in its coronavirus recovery strategy, and to stick to its target of making Europe the first climate neutral continent by the mid-century, but environmental groups said they were unimpressed.
12 IndiGo passengers who travelled on four flights test positive for COVID-19
Three passengers who travelled on Delhi-Jammu flight on Tuesday, six passengers who were on Bengaluru-Coimbatore flight on Wednesday, two passengers who were on Delhi-Coimbatore flight on Wednesday and one passenger who was on Bengaluru-Madurai flight on Wednesday tested positive for the novel coronavirus, the airline said.
BJP's Sambit Patra admitted to Medanta hospital after showing Covid-19 symptoms
41 million Americans have lost jobs since virus hit, but layoffs slow
- About 41 million people have now applied for aid since the virus outbreak intensified in March, though not all of them are still unemployed.
- The Labor Department's report includes 21 million people now receiving unemployment aid. That is a rough measure of the number of unemployed Americans.
- The national jobless rate was 14.7% in April, the highest since the Great Depression, and many economists expect it will near 20% in May.
- States are gradually restarting their economies by letting some businesses- from gyms, retail shops and restaurants to hair and nail salons, reopen with some restrictions.
AICTE, CSIR embark on drug discovery hackathon
- The All India Council for Technical Education (AICTE) and the Council of Scientific and Industrial Research (CSIR) have embarked on a drug discovery hackathon to fight against COVID-19, said Prof K Vijay Raghavan, Principal Scientific Advisor (PSA) to Government of India, on Thursday.
- Prof Raghvan, who was addressing a press conference here, said that the hackathon is a high-end hackathon where students are trained with information on how to do computational drug discovery.
Virus response can be strengthened by developing mobile health solutions, shows study
- India's response to COVID-19 can be strengthened by developing comprehensive mobile health solutions for frontline healthcare workers and public health authorities, a study said, stressing on the need for "necessary but least intrusive" measures for disease surveillance.
- Published online in the Indian Journal of Medical Research (IJMR), the study also said there is a need for mass installation of a single contact tracing mobile phone application.
- Under the study, conducted by researchers of Delhi-based George Institute for Global Health, Google Play and the Apple app store were searched using terms such as 'COVID-19', 'coronavirus', 'pandemic', and 'epidemic'.
Ladakh case count reaches 54
- The UT now has 11 active cases and 43 cured.
Worst hit cities in India
India's recovery rate stands at 42.75%
IIT to set up mega testing lab in Mumbai
- As part of its effort to fight the COVID pandemic, the IIT Alumni Council on Thursday announced the setting up of a mega lab in the metropolis with a capacity of 10 million tests per month by July.
- The council also said it will soon start identifying partners for the same through a global competition.
- Having launched the first 'Covid Test Bus' in the city earlier in the month, the council also said trials have already begun on two of the supercomputer clusters in the megapolis, which alone has seen more than 35,000 cases out of the close to 1.58 lakh in the country and nearly 2,000 of the over 4,700 deaths in the country so far.
Uttar Pradesh reports 80 new cases
- Seven more people died of coronavirus in Uttar Pradesh on Thursday, while 80 fresh cases pushed the total number of COVID-19 cases in the state to 7,071, officials said.
- With seven more fatalities, the total number of deaths due to COVID-19 in the state has reached 189.
Kerala reports 84 new cases
Will continue efforts until all migrant workers are back home: Centre tells SC
- The Central government on Thursday submitted before the Supreme Court that it will not stop its efforts until all the migrant labourers, stranded across the country amid the coronavirus-induced lockdown, are sent back to their homes.
- Solicitor General Tushar Mehta, appearing for the Central government, said that at least 3,700 special trains have been operated till May 27 and over 91 lakh migrants have been transported back home.
- He said that the Centre will not stop its efforts until everyone is sent back home.
Two Thane corporators test positive
- Two corporators from the Thane Municipal Corporation were among 393 persons who tested positive for COVID-19 in Maharashtra's Thane district, an official said on Thursday.
- With the addition of 393 fresh cases in the district on Wednesday, the COVID-19 tally in the region has reached 6,690, he said.
- According to the report released by the administration late on Wednesday night, the district also recorded 17 deaths that took the death toll to 207.
Patnaik hails Odisha's fight against coronavirus
- Asserting that Odisha has set an example in saving human lives from the coronavirus pandemic, Chief Minister Naveen Patnaik on Thursday said the Covid-19 fatality rate in the state at 0.46 per cent is the lowest in India and the world.
- Patnaik claimed many powerful nations and rich Indian states have been unable to manage the situation, but Odisha has successfully contained the spread of the disease over the last two months, ensuring recovery of patients and finally keeping the fatality rate negligible.
- He hailed the dedication and service of "Covid warriors", who helped the state contain the mortality rate at 0.46 per cent and ensured recovery of more than 50 per cent of patients.