- Stage set for roll-out of world's biggest vaccination drive against COVID on Saturday
- Maharashtra: Schools for Classes 5 to 8 to reopen from Jan 27
- Global death toll from COVID-19 tops 2M amid vaccine rollout
- Delhi reports 295 new COVID-19 cases, 427 recoveries and 10 deaths.
- Karnataka reported 708 new cases, 643 discharges, and 3 deaths today.
- Tamil Nadu records 621 new COVID-19 infections; 5 fatalities
- Maharashtra reports 3,145 new cases, 3,500 recoveries and 45 deaths today.
- Andhra Pradesh reports 94 new cases, 232 recoveries and 1 death today.
Global death toll from COVID-19 tops 2 million amid vaccine rollout
Maharashtra: Healthcare workers to be vaccinated four days a week
Spain reports record 40,197 COVID-19 cases
In view of the drop in new COVID19 cases, Delhi Government orders 115 private hospitals to scale down COVID and ICU beds
Stage set for roll-out of world's biggest vaccination drive against COVID on Saturday
A total of 3,006 session sites across all states and union territories will be virtually connected during the launch at 10.30 am by Prime Minister Narendra Modi and around 100 beneficiaries will be vaccinated at each session site.
Haryana reports 7 COVID deaths, 161 fresh cases
Karnataka reported 708 new cases, 643 discharges, and 3 deaths today.
- Total cases: 9,30,668
- Total discharges: 9,09,701
- Death toll: 12,158
- Active cases: 8,790
COVID: 12 more deaths, 242 new cases in Punjab
Tamil Nadu records 621 new COVID-19 infections; 5 fatalities
Gujarat: 535 new coronavirus cases, three deaths
France: EU chief says Pfizer guarantees delivery of all promised vaccine doses in Q1
UAE calls off fourth ODI in Covid-19 hit series with Ireland
243 centres readied for vaccination drive in Karnataka
Maharashtra: Schools for Classes 5 to 8 to reopen from Jan 27
SMS Medical College principal to get first shot of COVID vaccine in Rajasthan
Maharashtra reports 3,145 new cases, 3,500 recoveries and 45 deaths today.
- Total cases: 19,84,768
- Total recoveries: 18,81,088
- Death toll: 50,336
- Active cases: 52,152
All schools in Brihanmumbai Municipal Corporation limits to remain closed till further orders, says BMC.
Delhi reports 295 new COVID-19 cases, 427 recoveries and 10 deaths.
- Total cases 6,31,884
- Total recoveries 6,18,357
- Death toll 10,732
- Active cases 2,795
Haryana: A civil dispensary in Panchkula gears up for COVID-19 vaccination drive to begin tomorrow.
Today, as we wait for the availability of COVID19 vaccines, India is one of the few front runners that have started vaccinating people. This has given us great hope. Being next door, we believe, we too will be availing these vaccines.
- Nepal Foreign Minister Pradeep Gyawal
French mortality rate rose 9% in 2020 due to COVID-19
Himachal schools to resume teaching from Feb 1, Feb 15
Noida gets 28,840 doses, vaccination begins Saturday
Goa sees 80 COVID-19 cases, 1 death, 61 recoveries, 1.7k tests
COVID-19 in Delhi: 295 cases, lowest since May 9; positivity rate dips to 0.44 pc
Coronavirus vaccine drive in Rajasthan from tommorrow
Delhi: Union Health Minister Dr Harsh Vardhan will visit the new OPD Wing of AIIMS tomorrow to join the AIIMS doctors and potential vaccine beneficiaries to participate in and witness the launch of #COVID19 vaccination by Prime Minister at 10.30 am.
Bihar: Preparations are underway for the COVID-19 vaccination drive
Iran reports 6,485 COVID-19 cases, 1,318,295 in total
China's COVID-19 hospitalizations, cases rise
- China says it is now treating more than 1,000 people for COVID-19 as numbers of cases continue to surge in the country's north.
- The National Health Commission on Friday said 1,001 patients were under care for the disease, 26 of them in serious condition, and that 144 total new cases had been recorded over the past 24 hours.
- The province of Hebei, just outside Beijing, accounted for 90 of the new cases, while Heilongjiang province further north reported 43 new cases.
COVID-19 vaccine doses distributed to all district cold chain stores: Punjab Health Minister
The Punjab Government is all ready to roll out the COVID-19 vaccination programme under which firstly, Health Care Workers (Central, State, and Armed Forces Medical Services) to be vaccinated with their consent at dedicated 59 sites in the state.
Angela Merkel eyes stricter curbs as German virus cases top 2 million
Pfizer temporarily reduces COVID vaccine deliveries to Europe
The reduction in deliveries is due to Pfizer limiting output so that it can upgrade production capacity to 2 billion vaccine doses per year from 1.3 billion currently, the FHI said.
China COVID-19 vaccinations gather momentum as outbreaks spread
A little-known Beijing museum of urban planning looks set to see more visitors after being converted into a COVID-19 vaccination site as China seeks to ramp up inoculations amid a new upsurge in infections.
Philippines senators query government's preference for China vaccine after new efficacy data
Philippine senators on Friday questioned the government's preference for the Chinese COVID-19 vaccine after latest data showed it has a lower efficacy rate, saying this would not bode well for a country seeking to boost confidence in vaccines.
China imposes temporary travel ban on Pakistan passengers due to COVID-19
Andhra Pradesh reports 94 new cases, 232 recoveries and 1 death today.
- Total cases 8,85,710
- Total recoveries 8,76,372
- Death toll 7,139
International COVID-19 vaccine poll shows higher mistrust of Russia, China shots
People across the world are generally likely to say yes to getting a COVID-19 vaccine, but would be more distrustful of shots made in China or Russia than those developed in Germany or the United States, an international poll showed on Friday.
482 new COVID-19 cases take UP's tally to 5,95,614; death toll 8,558
Maharashtra: Vaccine drive to be held at 10 centres in Aurangabad
Scientists develop novel vaccine platform that may help prevent future coronavirus pandemics
- Scientists have designed a vaccine candidate that induces protection in mice against "a wide range of related coronaviruses," an innovation that may help protect against future pandemic-potential viruses that jump from animals to humans.
- The novel 'mosaic nanoparticle' vaccine, described in the journal Science, is shaped like a cage made up of 60 identical proteins, each of which has a small protein tag that functions like a piece of Velcro.
Nepal approves use of AstraZeneca Covishield vaccine manufactured in India, reports Reuters quoting Nepal Government
Greece may ease more COVID-19 curbs from Monday, says PM
Delhi geared up for COVID-19 vaccination roll-out tomorrow at 81 sites
A senior official on Thursday had said Oxford COVID-19 vaccine Covishield will be administered at 75 centres while Bharat Biotech-made Covaxin doses will be given at the remaining six facilities.
When I called on everybody to stay tuned for January 26, that applies very much to India. You would see a picture in our update that is less bad. Why? Because the country actually has taken very decisive action, very decisive steps to deal with the pandemic and to deal with the economic consequences of it.
- IMF Managing Director Kristalina Georgieva
UK Supreme Court hands businesses victory in COVID-19 insurance ruling
- The UK Supreme Court ruled on Friday that thousands of businesses should be insured for some losses amassed after a national lockdown to curb the coronavirus pandemic in a test case that pitched the markets regulator against major insurers.
- Six of the world's largest commercial insurers -- Hiscox , RSA, QBE, Argenta, Arch and MS Amlin -- said many business interruption policies did not cover widespread disruption after Britain's first national lockdown last March.
- But senior judges said payouts should be triggered after scrutinising 14 non-damage insurance policy clauses -- which cover disease, denial of access to business premises and hybrid clauses -- in a resounding victory for policyholders and the regulator.
Japan mulls harsher punishments for violators of COVID-19 restriction measures
Indonesia records over 12,800 COVID-19 cases in highest daily spike
Man tests positive for new coronavirus strain in Uttarakhand; first case in state
Pakistan to reopen secondary, higher secondary schools from January 18
Greece may ease some COVID-19 restrictions from January 25
Germany hits 2 million infections as WHO tackles new strains
WHO-led team in China to start meetings online from quarantine
Coronavirus cases in Europe top 30 million: AFP tally
Oxford Covid-19 vaccine boss warns Australia against delaying rollout
- A scientist who led the development of the Oxford-AstraZeneca Covid-19 vaccine on Friday warned Australia against delaying its rollout.
- The Australian and New Zealand Society for Immunology recently called on the Canberra government to pause its planned rollout of AstraZeneca's coronavirus vaccines, saying it may not be effective enough to generate herd immunity to the virus.
- In response, head of the Oxford Vaccine Group Andrew Pollard said that the focus should be on the vaccine's ability to prevent serious illness or death from COVID-19 rather than it's capacity to stop transmission of the virus.
India's total active caseload has dropped to 2.13 lakh (2,13,027) today, consisting of just 2.03% of India’s total positive cases: Union Health Ministry
Bhopal hospital guard says 'excited' to get vaccinated first
- A security guard posted at JP Hospital said on Friday that he is 'excited' to be the first person to get a shot of coronavirus vaccine when the drive kicks off on Sunday in the Madhya Pradesh capital.
- Asserting that the vaccine is "completely safe", Hari Singh said he had volunteered for the jab to help spread awareness among the people and allay their fears.
- The world's largest inoculation drive would start on Saturday in India, for which initial consignment of the vaccine has already reached Madhya Pradesh.
China's Sinopharm COVID-19 vaccine safe for children, teenagers: State Media
A COVID-19 vaccine developed by China National Biotec Group (CNBG), a Sinopharm subsidiary, is safe in those aged between three and 17, based on clinical data obtained by the company, state media reported on Friday.
Turkey begins mass Covid-19 vaccination with Sinovac's jabs
- Turkey launched the mass vaccination program against Covid-19 with the vaccines developed by China's Sinovac company.
- According to the Turkish Health Ministry, the first doses will be given to over 1 million health workers across the country, followed by adults living in nursing homes.
- The vaccination of healthcare workers in the country's biggest city Istanbul with a population of 16.5 million is expected to be completed within two days.