“The Committee ratified the invoking of emergency power by the Secretary of the Ministry of Electronics and IT under Section 66A of the IT Act read with rule 9,” said a top government official. Now that the decision has been taken, companies will be called before the committee in the coming week, the person said.
The union government on Monday banned 59 Chinese apps including short video app TikTok, Mi community, the user group of phone maker Xiaomi, and UC Browser, the Google Chrome rival from Alibaba as well as messaging platform WeChat, citing a threat to sovereignty and security of the country. The move comes amidst rising tension between India and China following the military standoff on the country’s northern borders, that triggered a violent face-off on June 15.
Officials from the ministry of home affairs, ministry of electronics and IT, ministry of information & broadcasting, law and justice, are a part of the committee, along with CERT-In, the country’s nodal agency for computer security.
The Indian government said its decision was based on close to 300 documents and reports seeking a ban on the Chinese apps, claiming that they were compromising user data.
Following the ban, companies including TikTok, Bigo Live and Likee among others have said they will cooperate with the Indian government’s order. Several of these companies, which count India as one of their largest markets outside China, have also begun outreach efforts to calm the concerns of employees and customers. This includes one of the world’s most valuable technology startups ByteDance, which owns TikTok and regional social media platform Helo. TikTok has 200 million users in India.
Earlier on Wednesday, TikTok Chief Executive Kevin Mayer addressed employees of the short video platform in India and said the company “ has encountered an unfortunate challenge in the country and is working with stakeholders to address their concerns.”
“TikTok continues to comply with all data privacy and security requirements under Indian law and places the highest importance on user privacy and integrity,” said Mayer, who left his post as the head of Disney's streaming efforts, including Disney Plus, to become the CEO of TikTok in May. He said these are unprecedented times, but the company remains committed to supporting the welfare of its TikTok creator community till this interim order is in effect. “Our creator managers are actively engaging with our top creators to reassure them of our efforts and updates about path forward,” Mayer said.
(Rasul Bailay in New Delhi contributed to the story)
Read More News on
Download The Economic Times News App to get Daily Market Updates & Live Business News.
1 Comment on this Story
dhruve1406151 days ago
It is sad to see that the govt after the first right small move s on shakey ground and is finding ways to unbann the Chinese apps . I hope they stay strong and not surrender again to Chinese pressure . This was a really small move . I think they should ban Chinese mobiles as most of our imports from china are mobiles