A Delhi court last year convicted former BJP MLA Kuldeep Singh Sengar for rape in the Unnao case, mainly based on the victim’s testimony, terming it as “unblemished, truthful and of sterling quality”.
In the Hathras case, the UP Police had added gang-rape charges to the FIR and arrested four people whom the girl had reportedly named in her dying statement on September 22.
On Thursday, additional director general of police (law and order) Prashant Kumar said forensic and autopsy reports had not confirmed rape. This came a day after Prime Minister Narendra Modi called UP chief minister Yogi Adityanath, asking him to take strict action against the accused and the CM assured the same to the victim’s family.
"The rape definition has been expanded since the changes in the law in 2013. So things need to be seen differently. Also, the victim's dying statement is extremely important and cannot be ignored," former UP DGP Javeed Ahmad told ET. Meanwhile, opposition parties in UP are terming Kumar’s statement as an attempt to weaken the case against the accused, who they said might take advantage during trial of the contradictions in the police version of the events.
In the Sengar case, the medical report of the victim was not a factor as the examination was inordinately delayed. According to opposition parties, the same is the case with the Hathras victim as well, as the samples were taken after a delay. The opposition in UP is also highlighting that under the law after the Nirbhaya case, penetration or presence of semen was not essential to prove a rape case.
Download The Economic Times News App to get Daily Market Updates & Live Business News.
- UP police officer cites forensic report, says Hathras woman not raped; legal experts junk claim
- Sushant death: CBI questions doctors at Cooper hospital, say sources; forensic report rules out ‘toxic substances’
- IL&FS crisis: Forensic report finds money laundering of over Rs 6,500 crore
- CCD owner V G Siddhartha's forensic report corroborates suicide theory: Police
- Same gun used to kill Gauri Lankesh and MM Kalburgi: Forensic report
- Sridevi's forensic report released, actress may have 'accidentally drowned' in bathtub
1 Comment on this Story
Devidas Telakat55 days ago
The police pinned ts version on that no sperm was found. If condoms are used,nosperm will be found. The IPS officer is clearly unfit for his job and should be dismissed under Art 310 by the President.