Given the limit on the number of guests allowed due to Covid-19 protocol, families of six among the deceased kar sewaks have been invited for the ceremony, said Champat Rai, general secretary, Ram Temple Trust. These include Kolkata-based Poornima Kothari, who is the sister of the deceased brothers Ram and Sharad Kothari, he said. At least 16 kar sewaks were killed in police firing on two separate days in 1990 in Ayodhya after the then chief minister Mulayam Singh Yadav ordered the opening of fire.
“It is a proud day for me to be invited for the Ram temple ceremony. My brothers died for this cause,” Kothari told ET on phone, saying she would reach Ayodhya by Tuesday evening. RSS leaders had earlier visited Kothari’s residence and the BJP even planned a memorial in Kolkata for the deceased Kothari brothers.
Rai said the family of the deceased Ramesh Pandey and Vasudev Gupta from Ayodhya have also been invited, along with two other families.
Iqbal Ansari is the son of the late Hashim Ansari, the original litigant in the case, and he took over the litigation after the death of his father. He accepted the Supreme Court verdict, in contrast to the stand of the All India Muslim Personal Law Board, which challenged it in a review petition. Ansari said on Monday that he wished to give a copy of the Ramcharitmanas to PM Modi during the August 5 function and would attend the event.
The priest of the Janaki (Sita) temple in Janakpur, Nepal, has also been invited for the function given the temple’s ties with Ayodhya.
Read More News on
Download The Economic Times News App to get Daily Market Updates & Live Business News.
- 3 dead in police firing as violence hits Bengaluru over 'derogatory' social media post
- COVID-19: Police fire in the air to control angry mobs in Assam
- Vikas Dubey tried to escape, police fired in self-defence, UP govt tells Supreme Court
- Karnataka govt withdraws ex-gratia to kin of Mangaluru police firing victims
- Police fire tear gas shells as anti-CAA protesters turn violent in Aligarh
- Ex-gratia to kin of police firing victims in Mangaluru put on hold pending probe: Karnataka CM